Pole powered pruner

Green Man Wales

Am looking to buy a pole powered pruner for work, and would like some advice and what to get. I have used them before.

What are the best options, going up from small jobs, to larger work? I don't want to spend a fortune to begin with, as am still growing, but want something decent and reliable as a starter one for small to medium sized jobs. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

3 minutes ago, Old Mill Tree Care said:

I have the Echo pole saw and I would not recommend it because of the ergonomics of the handle and the chain jumps off very easil.
I wish I’d bought the Stihl.
I know nothing about any of the other brands.

Thanks for the heads up. Was looking at Echo, as well as Husqvarna and Stihl

1 minute ago, nepia said:

Let's get this one out of the way if necessary... are you even considering going battery powered?  If so the Husky is very good.

Yes. I don't have an issue with battery powered. I have used a petrol and battery pole saw, and both worked as well as the other. Which Husky would you recommend?

I have the 536LiPT5.  Brilliant.  The battery gives a claimed 50 minutes cutting time.  I don't know whether that's manufacturer optimism or not but I've never come close to running it down. If you estimate an average cut as taking say 5-8 seconds that's a lot of cuts. 

My first job with it was reducing a pair of maiden TPO'd yews; no cut bigger than 25mm allowed!  The two of us cleared up in 2.5hrs and there was still half a battery left.

And the saw is quite happy cutting at bar length.

In design it's dead simple; slim, straight and no sticky out bits to get caught except for the hopeless branch hook protruding from below the sprocket and oil tank.

Extension/retraction is via a twisting plastic collar that tightens on the ally shaft.

I was going to make a really cost saving and versatile suggestion, based on what I'm doing. Then when I looked at the figures, the list prices were near identical. A big Stihl petrol polesaw is almost exactly the same list price as a Kombi engine, extension and pole pruner, so if you only want to cut branches, and not strim grass etc, no advantage at all. You'd actually have a worse machine.

I will however add that when I used the pruner for butchering thorn hedges, it was a real pain keeping the chain attached. Fortunately, my experiment of upgrading to a bar and chain for my 023 transformed the job. 

I don’t know why but husky pole saw is not nearly as bad as stihl for flinging the chain.

husky battery pole saw is a brilliant tool. 
I don’t know how the top brands compare on price but false  economy buying cheapo gear