Split tree - solution?

Bloom

Had a look at this last Tuesday then went back the next day to do it, but walked away cause I felt I was leaving too much to chance.

• no access for machinery
  • customer won't pay for machinery
  • shed to be saved (minor damages accepted)
  • main anchor would be on stem behind split one. If you're out on the tip, if failure occurs, you're swinging into the shed/ground
  • second anchor off a Sycamore. Lower and to the left/behind of the split limb

Hate not doing a job but didn't feel I could control the chaos on this one. Anyone got any bright ideas?

IMG_4338.JPG

IMG_4337.JPG

IMG_4336.JPG

IMG_4335.JPG

I am sure I would have done the same as you. Some jobs like this are just not feasible if you are trying to run a business. The risk of major damage to shed would either cost you money, or could result in increased premiums if it went through the insurance. Also climber safety to consider. Health and safety approach would be "empty the shed then drop timber onto it, if that is what's needed to keep climber safe".

• Like 2

Looks a nightmare, if the back steam looks fairly safe I would use it and probably double up the lowering blocks with the sycamore behind it just to spread the weight. Always easier said than done especially from a few pics, and these things always look different in real life. No shame in walking away.

Interesting how the brits are different to the yanks - if this was posted on a US forum the tree would have been armchair free-climbed and pieced out in a hundred different ways by now. 

For a taste of your whiskey
I'll give you some advice"
So I handed him my bottle
And he drank down my last swallow
Then he bummed a cigarette
And asked me for a light
And the night got deathly quiet
And his faced lost all expression
He said, "If you're gonna play the game, boy
You gotta learn to play it right
You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done
Every gambler knows
That the secret to survivin'
Is knowin' what to throw away
And knowin' what to keep
'Cause every hand's a winner
And every hand's a loser
And the best that you can hope for is to die
in your sleep
  • Like 2

Difficult to get a sense of quite how big that is but I think there's a lot of weight in the limb and hence a lot of spring energy in the split section. If you climb and reduce it could snap and go down, or it could spring up.

It's going to fall down on the shed sooner or later, maybe a new shed is the cheapest option in the end?

Looks like a bloody nightmare and sounds like a PITA customer. It it were me (not that I’ve seen it). I would get a rope over the top of the split steam and winch it back away from the shed with a little cut on the back of it. And let it tear down under the winch. You would need a 3.2 tonne winch at the least. I would also say that you will do your best to avoid dame game to the shed but either you take it down in a controlled manner ;as controlled as can be or you let the bloody thing flatten their shed.
As above a new shed is possible the cheapest option without machinery.