Poplar as insulation

Squaredy

1 minute ago, Ratman said:

I’d be putting 100mm insulation in that slab personally, and 180cm-200cm of concrete in the slab itself.
You could even build a cavity in to your slab and timberframe with insulation off that, be spot on and toasty enough for a games room emoji106.png
Any form of heating going in there or not?

I agree of course the more insulation the better, but none of our house has floor insulation, so I am not going to make the garden room the best insulated part of the property!  It will be the driest part I am sure.  What I would love to do for the floor is fit end grain cobbles, which I have produced in the past - pic below.

I am not fitting cobbles because it just makes it a much more complicated project as you need a perfectly flat screed on the slab.  My plan is to just float the slab by hand and then carpet it, leaving the middle free for the table.  When the table is installed it will need a few shims to get it perfectly level, so this will be good enough.

I will install an electric heater and possibly a dehumidifier, nothing else.  Most of the year it will be warm enough for an active sport like snooker or darts, just need the heater for the odd miserable winter evening.

Cobbles laid 3.JPG

2 hours ago, Ratman said:

That floor is ACE, fair play emoji106.png

Yeah it is an amazing flooring, but not a cheap option.  I think it was around £110 per square metre fitted, and they had to have a perfect screeded finish first.  This was at an engineering workshop and was 450 square metres, so used 64,000 cobbles each one 70mm by 110mm and 75mm high.

• Like 1