Beginner's tips/advice

neiln

I've got a few largish lumps of wood in at the moment, big enough to carve something small out of rather then just buck and split for firewood.  A little bit of time on my hands too so thought I might try a chainsaw carving.  Anybody got any tips for getting started?  I've got a husky 365 and a stihl ms180 to use, plus all the usual DIY power tools like drill and angle grinder, although no Dremel/die grinder.

Should I just dive in and try a bear/eagle/owl or should I practice some cutting moves first?  Bore cuts or something? What's an easy sculpture for a beginner?  YouTube has plenty of how to do bears and so on but maybe a mushroom is an easier start?

I strongly suspect I'll use a few litres of fuel/oil, make a few small lumps of firewood, a large pile chips and nothing very recognisable, but everyone has to start somewhere!

Thanks

I keep meaning to have a go at carving, just never seem to find the time.

My plan was to start by carving the first letter of each of the kids names, thinking it would be fairly straight forward with straight lines etc and scale not to important. Also thinking the clients, being only 4 and 7 wouldn't be too critical of the resultant dogs dinner.

• Like 1

Just crack on at anything you fancy really. Youd do well to get a carving bar for the 180 but sure you will get something made if not an option for you. You wont manage deep curving cuts or much detail without a carving bar.

Try face in a log first?

like a wood spirit/wizard?  I'd have thought that was a hard place to start, needing fine detail and conrol to achieve the relief.  a mushroom is a mushroom with just shape...ok get good and you can add the gills or what not but get the basic shape and its a mshroom.  same for a bear/owl/dog.  get good and the fur, the face, the claws all make it look fabulous, but get the basic shape right and it looks impressive no?

carving bar?  with a dime tip? thought they existed for the 180, its just a 12" stihl bar at 3/8" pitch isn't it?  stick it on anything with the right sprocket from a 170 to an 880.  I wasn't planning on getting a carving bar for a start though. i don't need to do i?

chains though.....I've semi chisel on the toy saw.  I am not even sure if there is a picco full chisel, but i guess a smoother chain like semi and rakers high is best for carving?

• Like 1

Hi just have a go a mushroom is a good start ,get some models of bears,owls etc and just have a go and see how you get on don’t worry about making fire wood I have made loads when carving most of all have fun with it ,Good luck 

Cheers Mark 

• Like 1

Just go for it, I keep trying the odd bits. I love it. I just keep watching YouTube and when I see something I like, I just give it a go. I did a duck a couple of weeks ago for my mam. It's the funniest duck going, but my mam loves it, and that's all that matters.
My mams duck [emoji23] [emoji23] 20200502_183651.jpeg20200502_183626.jpeg20200502_183635.jpeg
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2