Do you guys have second jobs?

patsero

Hello everyone, I’m 21 years old and recently got out the Army and have booked my course for August. I was doing some groundwork for a tree surgeon who had just taken a driving job and the other tree surgeon who we rented a chipper off was doing farming work. This made me a bit paranoid that there isn’t really that much tree work around where I’m from and beginning to question if it’s a good choice. What are your guys thoughts?

• Like 1

In all seriousness though, you find that if you're a good contract climber, you'll always be busy however, farm work is generally less tool intensive/you can use items you may already have. Driving is even less. 

There is no wrong answer. There are loads of trees out there. You could make a good career out of just climbing and plenty do. If you fancy an easier day some weeks, it doesn't hurt to have more strings to your bow. 

I never minded slab laying/hardlandscaping although that may have been though some rigging mis-estimations in my youth! haha

Income from Arb is very regional mate,whatever country or part of that country you might be in.

For example a good contract climber might make £200 per day in London but £500 per day in Norway. 

Likewise the same climber,no matter how good they might be,might struggle for work in the North East of England. 

It's up to you if you want to follow this path or not,but practically any other trade is going to pay you more for doing less.

Good luck and if you want to do it,then go ahead.

• Like 4