Which little saw?

SimpleSimon

Cutting metre billets of 4 to 6inch seasoned beech into 3 or 4 logs per billet the duc 355 can fill the back of my double cab pickup off a single charge. with chip sides so its a good heaped load. But over 6 inch seems to deplete the battery faster
Is that with two 5.0Ah batteries very impressive...

Think you mentioned before you had the knock off ones also?

Makita  cordless stuff seems to have shot up abit in price recently £100 more than they were last year for bare unit saw.

Yes 5ah battery and yes have a pair of waitley 6ah batteries. They seen as good if not better power wise but have cracked both the casings, not critically but still probably the start of the end for them. Suspect they will hold up for a good bit yet with plenty gaffa
  • Like 1

On 13/05/2020 at 23:46, Rough Hewn said:

Let's say on average you use only 1 gallon of fuel mix a week at £6.

That's £300 a year or £900

Over 3 years.

10 charges a week at 5p a charge is 50p a week, £25 a year or £75 over

3 years.

In 3 years the fuel savings alone pay for the Saw...

(And 2 expensive batteries)

Not to mention the health and environmental benefits.

emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

Sorry your maths doesn't work for me.

It doesn't include the fact that after trying battery tools, you realize how much better they are, and you then go on replace your kit as much as possible, within 6 months spending 2k+ on batteries and the same again on the tools themselves :w00t:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/05/2020 at 23:00, Ratman said:

Anyone got the DeWalt 18v version or tried it? If so is it any good?

I've just ordered a DeWalt saw. Can't recall the model number off the top of my head but it's a top handle on 18v.

Main motivation was battery sharing. I'll let you know how it does, I'm not expecting it to be amazing but for the jobs I want it for (hedgelaying, fencing, topping small conifers, etc) I think it'll serve me well enough. 

• Like 1

I have a Makita 36V saw, very impressed with what it can do on a couple of 5amp batteries.

Plenty of comments re absence of noise and fumes but nobody ever mentions the smell of the bar oil.

Reminds me of how the smoking ban in pubs revealed the stench of sewers, BO and nasty cooking that had previously been masked by cigarettes.

• Like 1

Makita all the way here - much better value and far more versatile than the Stihl system. Makita twin battery brushless saws are very good - they all have the same powerhead, the different model numbers refer to bar length and tool-less tensioning so just buy the cheapest/most basic which I think is the DUC305 (30cm bar). 

On 13/05/2020 at 23:46, Rough Hewn said:

Let's say on average you use only 1 gallon of fuel mix a week at £6.

That's £300 a year or £900

Over 3 years.

10 charges a week at 5p a charge is 50p a week, £25 a year or £75 over

3 years.

In 3 years the fuel savings alone pay for the Saw...

(And 2 expensive batteries)

Not to mention the health and environmental benefits.

emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

An more fag breaks when yr swapping batteries ?K

1 hour ago, Peasgood said:

I have a Makita 36V saw, very impressed with what it can do on a couple of 5amp batteries.

Plenty of comments re absence of noise and fumes but nobody ever mentions the smell of the bar oil.

Reminds me of how the smoking ban in pubs revealed the stench of sewers, BO and nasty cooking that had previously been masked by cigarettes.

How much cutting time do you reckon you might get off a full charge?

28 minutes ago, gary112 said:

Difficult to put an exact time on it as it seems to vary. My limited experience says lots of small cuts use up the battery quicker than steady sawing. I will go with 45 minutes ish.

Not a saw to be sawing all day long but very useful for pruning and jobs where you do a bit and clear away.

• Thanks 1

Logging eats the batteries fast. I dismantled a decent size ash ( stem was 24 to 28" ).one set of batteries lasted until i got 357 sent up, nearly all rigged so plenty of cutting. I was pretty surprised it lasted that long
  • Like 1