Convert 346 to 3/8?

haforbes

Apologies if this has been covered before! I’m looking at converting my 346 silverside to a 3/8 chain just because all my other saws run 3/8. I’m assuming it would pull the bigger chain? I’m rubbish with chain sizes etc...what exactly would I need to do the conversion? Sprocket, chain size and 16” bar? Thanks in advance

38 minutes ago, haforbes said:

Apologies if this has been covered before! I’m looking at converting my 346 silverside to a 3/8 chain just because all my other saws run 3/8. I’m assuming it would pull the bigger chain? I’m rubbish with chain sizes etc...what exactly would I need to do the conversion? Sprocket, chain size and 16” bar? Thanks in advance

We tried that approach - IMO the 3/8 was too aggressive for precision work climbing and way more vibration, OK for a cutter but then you would be using a larger cc saw unless early years thinning. After all it's just another pack of files needed in the toolbox for .325.

• Like 1

Husqvarna only list 0.325 on the 550 and 346. I know you CAN convert the saws, it doesn't mean it is a good idea. I reckon the 346 will be a bit harsh to use on a 3/8th personally.

There is only one type of oiler for the 346 and 550. The 357XP had two types of oiler pinion, never worked out why and can only think the pinions design was changed for the different rim diameters as you can just swap the rim types on the same drum so will run on the same pinion. Perhaps ADW can give a potted history;)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, spudulike said:

Husqvarna only list 0.325 on the 550 and 346. I know you CAN convert the saws, it doesn't mean it is a good idea. I reckon the 346 will be a bit harsh to use on a 3/8th personally.

There is only one type of oiler for the 346 and 550. The 357XP had two types of oiler pinion, never worked out why and can only think the pinions design was changed for the different rim diameters as you can just swap the rim types on the same drum so will run on the same pinion. Perhaps ADW can give a potted history;)

Even ported by yourself, our 346 was not a pleasure to use, it was super aggressive and just plain didn't feel right. 325 chain on and nothing beats it (except our 357xp perhaps, which will be coming your way in due course by the way - for the full works!)

• Like 1