Mini excavator Isuzu 3LD1 engine

NOC

Hi folks 

Any help would be appreciated, parked this machine up one evening and wouldn’t start next day. Engine cranks reasonably well but when I bleed the injectors no great amount of diesel getting through- no spurting just a slow drip, took out the injector pumps and don’t see any issues and unlikely all 3 gone at once surely.  Fuel pump working as diesel as diesel getting too the injectors, Cam shaft turning ok but just cant seem to get high pressure diesel through.  At a lose now, any ideas.??

Are you getting power to the fuel solenoid ?

You could check this by removing the ignition feed to the starter then go to the crank position for the engine and you should hear the fuel solenoid 'click' in ?

You could try removing the fuel solenoid  , put a rag in the hole to stop any dirt ingress/ oil coming out , do the same as above and when you go to crank you should see the pin on the solenoid pull in ?

If this works it could be that the internal fuel rack has stuck  ? If you put your finger in the hole where the fuel solenoid was fitted , you should be able to feel the end of the fuel rack , if you push it gently by hand it should return under spring pressure..?

I have also heard of injectors sticking when stood for a prolonged period of time  ?

Jase.

Edited by Jase hutch
  • Like 1

Hi Jase

thanks for the reply, yeah solenoid working fine and have it out, crank while using my finger to move the rack and no change.  with solenoid out the rack is fully left and that’s the only position that I get some diesel moving through as I push the rack to the right it closes off and I get no diesel.  The rack can move about 20mm. Took the governor housing cap off and can see all looks ok but there is some play in the rack but only a small amount.  

Removed all 3 injector pump and no stuck plungers in any, when put back in 5% improvement from drip to very slight splash of diesel on cranking whilst bleeding but not nearly what should be be there

With the solenoid out the rack is to the extreme Left ( as I look at the engine) as I crank the engine and move the rack with my finger I get No diesel out, has anyone heard of the rank shifting somehow, it’s like the is on and the other 90 % movement of the rack is closing the fuel off but the valves from the injectors are seated in the v notch of the rack

Check the return line from the injectors back to the tank, especially if it goes via the injector pump if they get blocked they can cause funny symptoms on some engines, simple but often over looked