New Plum tree

Pedro12

Question

Hello.

I have just purchased a new young plum tree. A mirabelle de Nancy. It’s about 1.5m tall. 
2 days ago I put it in a large pot with good drainage and used general purpose compost. I have watered it well. 
I have noticed that some of the end leaves have started to die.  To be honest when I bought it I noticed some of the end leaves drooping but it did need a good water. 
Do I need to be concerned about anything?  I have attached a couple of pictures. Thanks. 

71544FED-D9C0-4E9E-99C0-569CE3722E1F.jpeg

64B441B8-C778-41D8-B501-1922D95D3164.jpeg

8 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Pedro12 said:

Hello.

I have just purchased a new young plum tree. A mirabelle de Nancy. It’s about 1.5m tall. 
2 days ago I put it in a large pot with good drainage and used general purpose compost. I have watered it well. 
I have noticed that some of the end leaves have started to die.  To be honest when I bought it I noticed some of the end leaves drooping but it did need a good water. 
Do I need to be concerned about anything?  I have attached a couple of pictures. Thanks. 

71544FED-D9C0-4E9E-99C0-569CE3722E1F.jpeg

64B441B8-C778-41D8-B501-1922D95D3164.jpeg

Not sure I can help you with what is causing the leaf problem, but I think you need some soil in the pot as well.  General purpose compost should be good up to a point but has no structure and should be mixed with soil.  It is different for growing tomatoes or courgettes - they only need to live for a few months.  A tree needs as large an area as possible with good soil and lots of nutrients.

I trust is was not bare root by the way, as this is the wrong time of year to transplant bare root trees.  If it had a good rootball it may be OK.  Hope this may help a little.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Not sure I can help you with what is causing the leaf problem, but I think you need some soil in the pot as well.  General purpose compost should be good up to a point but has no structure and should be mixed with soil.  It is different for growing tomatoes or courgettes - they only need to live for a few months.  A tree needs as large an area as possible with good soil and lots of nutrients.

I trust is was not bare root by the way, as this is the wrong time of year to transplant bare root trees.  If it had a good rootball it may be OK.  Hope this may help a little.

Ok thank you for the reply. No it wasn’t a bare root. I’ll see what it’s like in a few days. It’s only been transferred to a large pot 2 days ago

19 hours ago, Pedro12 said:

Ok thank you for the reply. No it wasn’t a bare root. I’ll see what it’s like in a few days. It’s only been transferred to a large pot 2 days ago

Hi. Can anyone else help. It seems to be getting worse by the day. It’s disappointing as it’s for a birthday present. Thanks. 

29 minutes ago, Pedro12 said:

Hi. Can anyone else help. It seems to be getting worse by the day. It’s disappointing as it’s for a birthday present. Thanks. 

Have you looked under the leaves for aphids?  A pic of the tree in its tub might help.

Looks like it has been scorched to me.

Is it likely to have been frosted since you had it, is it in a strong cold wind, are you wetting the leaves in bright sunlight, was it living in a poly tunnel and now outside (or vice versa)?

It isn't aphid damage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peasgood said:

Looks like it has been scorched to me.

Is it likely to have been frosted since you had it, is it in a strong cold wind, are you wetting the leaves in bright sunlight, was it living in a poly tunnel and now outside (or vice versa)?

It isn't aphid damage.

Hi. It was bought from Homebase. So I imagine it was pretty sheltered in their plant area. It’s in my garden and it’s been windy the past couple of days. Pretty hard to find a sheltered area as the wind is whipping around the house everywhere. It’s not been wet during sunlight. Here’s another picture today. 

20EEFE60-BAE9-4C8D-9E2F-7C7644B2B307.jpeg