New bar and old chains... they don't go together!

Rob D

On 17/08/2020 at 09:17, Rob D said:

Nope it surely is not lack of oil or a blunt chain [saw oiling fine and chain new on there, damage occurred pretty much after a few cuts] - and this illustrates my point really ie. that's what folks would think would cause this... but it ain't! And when folks are convinced of what the cause is it's then almost impossible to convince them otherwise.

Ive run plenty very worn sprockets over many years but never had that happen to a bar because of it,cant see it really,in fact not had that happen to a bar really

If i was to hazard a guess i would say sunflower/veg oil could be the culprit.

I have never had that happen to a bar and have never swapped sprockets/ chains out when fitting new bars.

I would have said overheating would be more likely at the nose of the bar with a worn sprocket or damaged chain.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gary112 said:

Ive run plenty very worn sprockets over many years but never had that happen to a bar because of it,cant see it really,in fact not had that happen to a bar really

Sorry if this is a daft question - but why would you be running plenty of very worn sprockets over the years? And if a sprocket is very worn would you not replace it [if you knew it was very worn]?

1 hour ago, ESS said:

I have never had that happen to a bar and have never swapped sprockets/ chains out when fitting new bars.

I would have said overheating would be more likely at the nose of the bar with a worn sprocket or damaged chain.

Yep well it's personal choice how you run your gear but best practice is to change the drive rim and sprocket regularly as it leads to premature damage. Stihl and Oregon say you should, I say you should as I've seen the damage caused by not doing it - but it's a forum and things are up for debate... I see 2 to 3 bar failures a week and there is a common theme in what I believe has caused the damage in most cases.

1 hour ago, ESS said:

Veg oil doesn't cause that kind of damage. In my experience, canola oil is just as good as regular chain oil.

By looking at the photo, my first thought is that it's a combination of things. A tight chain, blocked oil flow or low oil flow in combination with dirt in the wood, and a chain that is not sharp or has high rakers. So it will only produce fine dust. If the rakers are high, the cutters can still look "sharp", but the chain won't cut. And if you have an operator that ignores it and pushes the saw, that's a recipe for disaster. The nose may fail, but usually it's the rails on the underside of the bar - middle part that takes a beating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Rob D said:

Sorry if this is a daft question - but why would you be running plenty of very worn sprockets over the years? And if a sprocket is very worn would you not replace it [if you knew it was very worn]?

Not a daft question,and yes should have replaced some more often i agree but still find it hard to believe thats the cause of the problem

8 hours ago, Rob D said:

Yep well it's personal choice how you run your gear but best practice is to change the drive rim and sprocket regularly as it leads to premature damage. Stihl and Oregon say you should, I say you should as I've seen the damage caused by not doing it - but it's a forum and things are up for debate... I see 2 to 3 bar failures a week and there is a common theme in what I believe has caused the damage in most cases.

What makes you say the sprocket is the cause,why would it cause that damage to the bar,any explanation?

9 hours ago, Ferguson system said:

Veg oil doesn't cause that kind of damage. In my experience, canola oil is just as good as regular chain oil.

By looking at the photo, my first thought is that it's a combination of things. A tight chain, blocked oil flow or low oil flow in combination with dirt in the wood, and a chain that is not sharp or has high rakers. So it will only produce fine dust. If the rakers are high, the cutters can still look "sharp", but the chain won't cut. And if you have an operator that ignores it and pushes the saw, that's a recipe for disaster. The nose may fail, but usually it's the rails on the underside of the bar - middle part that takes a beating.

Also its clear the bar has never been flipped . They do work with the writing upside down ! .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1