New bar and old chains... they don't go together!

Rob D

7 hours ago, topchippyles said:

New bar delivered off you yesterday Rob with 3 x ripping chains.The bar is the 28"GB and chains are archer but after fitting last night i am finding the chains are to tight so thinking wrong size width on the drive links ? Will whats app you and see what you suggest cheers les

Hi Les - I think we now have this sorted over whatsapp. Rob

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Rob D said:

Hi Les - I think we now have this sorted over whatsapp. Rob

Yes thanks for your help as always rob.Just to add that we did this a couple of years ago and ended up using a 3/8 - 7 tooth sprocket to adapt from memory to a different GB bar.

Edited by topchippyles

12 hours ago, Rob D said:

Nope it surely is not lack of oil or a blunt chain [saw oiling fine and chain new on there, damage occurred pretty much after a few cuts] - and this illustrates my point really ie. that's what folks would think would cause this... but it ain't! And when folks are convinced of what the cause is it's then almost impossible to convince them otherwise.

I don't doubt there is operator issues here, however i still do not accept a worn sprocket caused that heat build up in the cutting area of that bar, are we talking spur sprocket or rim sprocket? i have seen plenty of bars running used chains with no issues like your bar, maybe just maybe its an issue with your bars, having incorrect hardening or incorrect bat groove, its far to easy to make excuses for your bars.

As a somewhat staunch husky fan, (I run t540xp, 346xp, 560xp, 576xp, 395xp and 3120xp) I have to slightly protest at someone from husqvarna criticising sugi bars. The husqvarna laminated bars pretty much lose their paint the minute you walk out of the shop, and the rails and nose sprockets dissolve shortly afterwards. The replaceable tip bars (made by oregon) are usually fine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, adw said:

I don't doubt there is operator issues here, however i still do not accept a worn sprocket caused that heat build up in the cutting area of that bar, are we talking spur sprocket or rim sprocket? i have seen plenty of bars running used chains with no issues like your bar, maybe just maybe its an issue with your bars, having incorrect hardening or incorrect bat groove, its far to easy to make excuses for your bars.

I tend to agree. 

I thought the black marks must be due overheating due to oiler not working not really to do with chain or sprocket wear?

Or maybe chain to tight?

From website:

However bear in mind they are more ‘thoroughbred’ in that if they are mistreated and the bar gets over heated they are more prone to chipping.

Never had black marks like thoose using both  part worn sprockets and older chains with new bars but the bars were different brand.

And how worn is to0 worn.....

Edited by Stere