New bar and old chains... they don't go together!

Rob D

9 hours ago, Ian C said:

This is a good thread, yeah name and shame as long as I ain’t on the list ? bar chain and sprockets are consumable items, it’s amazing how many people actually think they should last the life of the saw!

Rob do you stock a good range of the GB bars fir the common saws as I want to swap onto them as ours wear out ?

Nope not naming names - no shame in it we can all be useless.. I am sometimes on this list - but am suitably abashed once I see my silly errors. Here is a good example - 'Sugi bar only done a weeks cutting and it's got a chunk out of it'. Get pics of the rim and chain. If you check the chain you can see the tearing and peening on the bottom of the tie straps. Rim is knackered. Used an old chain [sharpening looks good] on the new bar.

I explain how the drive rim and damage the chain which can damage the bar - reply from customer  'So you saying it's my fault'.... I give up ☹️

image.thumb.png.ae9c22bceff456c3bd2271dd9014cc75.png

image.thumb.png.2339a88c800c171b3ef1f73f05f67651.png

image.thumb.png.fa62bd7d8baa7e924cfbe965555d6955.png

1 hour ago, Rob D said:

Nope not naming names - no shame in it we can all be useless.. I am sometimes on this list - but am suitably abashed once I see my silly errors. Here is a good example - 'Sugi bar only done a weeks cutting and it's got a chunk out of it'. Get pics of the rim and chain. If you check the chain you can see the tearing and peening on the bottom of the tie straps. Rim is knackered. Used an old chain [sharpening looks good] on the new bar.

I explain how the drive rim and damage the chain which can damage the bar - reply from customer  'So you saying it's my fault'.... I give up ☹️

image.thumb.png.ae9c22bceff456c3bd2271dd9014cc75.png

image.thumb.png.2339a88c800c171b3ef1f73f05f67651.png

image.thumb.png.fa62bd7d8baa7e924cfbe965555d6955.png

I would say " if yr gonna run my expensive saws like that, that  i bought for my job that pays yr wages -  you can look for another job next week pal"   k

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

Seems like you need a phrase like "in line with manufacturers recommended maintenance" or similar. It's not just you saying knackered sprockets will damage the bar, it's in the Oregon chain maintenance manual.

Yep that would be perfectly reasonable - but it just doesn't work in practice. After 12 years in retail I've realised - if the customer makes a mistake then it's up to you to sort it out, if you make a mistake it's up to you to sort it out.. Just the way it is!

21 hours ago, spudulike said:

Go on, name and shame....that will teach them:thumbup: I am not sure what people get taught but some can't even adjust an idle let alone tell if a sprocket is worn or not. Bet most don't even know what those lines on the Oregon Powermatch Rims actually are!

Thing is Steve, you get paid to fix them, users get paid to use them.  The more the user wrecks the saw the more work you have...

I am certainly not a Saint for keeping maintenance up to date.  I think I have cleaned the air filter in my 441 now about 5 or 6 times.  I got it at one of the Apf’s years ago...  probably 8 or 10 years ago.  It still works and screams when it is cutting.

Surely, it is a simple relationship which works well?

2 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

Thing is Steve, you get paid to fix them, users get paid to use them.  The more the user wrecks the saw the more work you have...

I am certainly not a Saint for keeping maintenance up to date.  I think I have cleaned the air filter in my 441 now about 5 or 6 times.  I got it at one of the Apf’s years ago...  probably 8 or 10 years ago.  It still works and screams when it is cutting.

Surely, it is a simple relationship which works well?

Prob slightly different for Steve - but for us if people want to wreck their gear [and yes a lot of the time you get away with it or you think you are getting away with it]. But when you don't it's very rare [very very rare] that the user says 'yep I've ruined this and I need another' what we get is 'I never had this hassle with Stihl bars - what's the warranty?!

I get your point in a way Rob.  I wouldn’t describe it as wrecking your kit though.  

A saw is there to be used and I use them.  When something wears out I either fix it, get it fixed, do without or buy another.  

Look, yr in forestry. Yr cutting to tonnage per day -  you bought yr own saw, is it gonna help you to run it into the ground whilst other guys are stacking up 3 or 4 tonnes more than you per day ?? Or just learn the tips n have more wallet cash instead of repair bills at end of week. K

• Like 1