Forestry Grants and the Magic Money Tree

Nice posts.

Same as it ever was like the housing developers who fill their rabbit hutches and then monopolise/extort their gullible occupants with District Heating schemes.

Believing the system's rigged is for the birds. Who'd get up in the morning for that? Unless of course your income has been less than the cost of living for so long that you're now working for the man not your family. As Al Murray Publandlord said when explaining the EU. "It's much more complicated than that!"

One piece missing is communal accountability or being so localised that your reputation is something to value because of the people you're dependent on living/working around you. Old-fashioned neighbourly suffocation had its limits though and most us can see why people dump off, move on and start all over again. Some call it a career. For others its a way of life like those who make housecalls for your unwanteds and only to then flytip it conveniently in one place for the council to deal with... That's a Viz toptip not to be taken seriously...

We can't get nostalgic about the 19th Century communities in the Midlands and the North who scrimped and saved to build their Co-ops whose few lasting legacies are now the boarded up or converted non-conformist chapels.

What we can do though is think about getting out of screen-bubble time, echo-chambers and habitual ruts.

Here's another little brick for the case

• Like 1

Certainly looking that way in Town,  huge lego pop up apartment blocks, on brown field sites near rail stations - punted as convenient living for City workers,  but they are all shut now and on recommence, will people have jobs on their return , to buy or rent them  ?  ( an yr looking at billion pound sites here ) I don't think so. K

46 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Certainly looking that way in Town,  huge lego pop up apartment blocks, on brown field sites near rail stations - punted as convenient living for City workers,  but they are all shut now and on recommence, will people have jobs on their return , to buy or rent them  ?  ( an yr looking at billion pound sites here ) I don't think so. K

TOT but I live in the quintessential commuter town with a number of tall hutch complexes as well as posh houses with nice gardens yet the commute to london is likely to have been the main vector for disease. So is it likely the recent migration to cities will continue?

@openspaceman  been going on since Dickens was a lad. My point is a huge number of construction projects ( and jobs )  are in danger. Homeworking could now be the only option for those City types. I am of the mind that this C19 is engineered - from the existing discovered ( 1960s ) Corona Avian strains - so once again , our environment at risk from mad fukkers who think they know best.  ? K

I am of the mind that this C19 is engineered - from the existing discovered ( 1960s ) Corona Avian strains - so once again , our environment at risk from mad fukkers who think they know best.  ? K

Not one of thoose well informed people buring down 5G phone masts were you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Weather is crucial for business planning for future firewood sales.

Computer-modelling for long range weather forecasts has many variables making it more of an art than a science. But we can all see seasonal variations and changing weather patterns. Right?

Google a few and have a look at historic trends in temperature change.

Here's some tiny background info that might help if you wanted to look into why we have this current cold spell. No wacco woo-woo just putting the very real current economic fears in context

For the last ten years even the climate change deniers have conceded that crop yields are getting affected by hotter drier summers and warmer wetter winters.

Established theories explain why the UK benefits from the jet stream overhead and the gulfstream up through the Atlantic waters which make the UK's winters so moderate.

But, it snowed in Ontario Canada this week which is rare and the UK is on the same latitude. Imagine how life would change if these mutual conveyors of warm air and warm sea got disrupted permanently. Some have evidence to show the continuing polar ice cap melt would cause that disruption and affect the UK's comparatively mild winters.

This isn't alarmist hooie. Remember the Beast from the East in Feb/March 2019. Now, we've got more polar easterlies at the beginning of the summer.

Look into it. After the current chaos has subsided, look forward to a time for planting trees for firewood.

• Like 1

yeah but what's my point?

It's very simple. Arbs and foresters are in daily contact with landowners. Those dealings have tremendous opportunities even under current circumstances.

If you saw the few listed concerns previously, then you know the question is "what can be done?".

One option is to look to the business of diversifying partnerships between arbs/foresters and landowners for the supply of chip for community Combined Heat and Power Systems.

Arbs and Foresters throughout UK have the local knowledge and business contacts to start setting up supply sources up for their areas.

My grand-daughter follows the news and says the world is not going to change back to the way things were anytime soon! From what I've seen, the economy and finance is going to become very different too.

So, if you're interested in diversifying, contact a local consultant who knows about CHP. Have a chat and run some figures. We did and it made sense to us.

Anyone else got any experience?

Local hotel has as CHP system a big eddy stobart wagon visits then regulary delivering chip. Also the National Trust Castle.

Many if not most local woods (alot are historic hardwood plantations estate wood mix of trees etc)  are  unmanaged apart from pheasant shooting. Woods are small  dispersed in location alot of rhoddy &  the  economy of scale isn't there?

Alot more money to be me made on holiday lets and shooting pheasants?