Forestry Grants and the Magic Money Tree

So what does UK forestry industry expect will happen given the world economy slow down? Globalism is semi-suspended, we're leaving the EU and with it its cashflows of payments and fundings because of Brexit, and C-19 is reducing productivity.

Have imports significantly declined? What are the ports and docks like?

The UK Central Bank has been printing money on and off since 2008, so Westminster and the devolved Govs can honour their assurances for woodland grants and funds for planting etc but what about timber prices?

What are you seeing where you are?

Forestry land had started declining in value last year. That existing capital invested will want to see some return sooner or later particularly if it's got nowhere else to go.

https://www.johnclegg.co.uk/site/uploads/press/ForestMarketReport_2019.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Sutton said:

So what does UK forestry industry expect will happen given the world economy slow down? Globalism is semi-suspended, we're leaving the EU and with it its cashflows of payments and fundings because of Brexit, and C-19 is reducing productivity.

Have imports significantly declined? What are the ports and docks like?

The UK Central Bank has been printing money on and off since 2008, so Westminster and the devolved Govs can honour their assurances for woodland grants and funds for planting etc but what about timber prices?

What are you seeing where you are?

Forestry land had started declining in value last year. That existing capital invested will want to see some return sooner or later particularly if it's got nowhere else to go.

https://www.johnclegg.co.uk/site/uploads/press/ForestMarketReport_2019.pdf

What I am seeing is mass felling of Ash no matter what the condition just to be sure there are no insurance claims should any one be injured or killed , ( understandable )  . With this obvious excess of timber will the price come down ? I don't think so . 

• Like 1

They also reckon a massive ammount of nettle damaged timber needing felled in Germany.

I forget the number I was told something like either 2 million acres/hectares or tonnes I think ( I thnk it was the area rather than wieght but s jus such a massive area hard to imagine)

But either way it was a lot and it could flood the market in Europe if not be imported here.

• Like 1

Like us, Scandinavia and the Baltic States are catching up from their wet winters.

Other setbacks aside, follow the breadcrumbs from here and you'll get a sense of what the timber/firewood markets will do and when once building/construction hits full steam:

https://uk-ports.org/business-news/

15 hours ago, Stubby said:

What I am seeing is mass felling of Ash no matter what the condition just to be sure there are no insurance claims should any one be injured or killed , ( understandable )  . With this obvious excess of timber will the price come down ? I don't think so . 

Can’t see there’s ever going to be an excess of timber with the biomass market struggling to source chip. Any excess will just be turned to biomass 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Can’t see there’s ever going to be an excess of timber with the biomass market struggling to source chip. Any excess will just be turned to biomass 

This is true . I was thinking it terms of the fire wood market but yes that's what is happening Steve  .

Edited by Stubby

They also reckon a massive ammount of nettle damaged timber needing felled in Germany.
I forget the number I was told something like either 2 million acres/hectares or tonnes I think ( I thnk it was the area rather than wieght but s jus such a massive area hard to imagine)

But either way it was a lot and it could flood the market in Europe if not be imported here.

Nettle damaged?