Cyclists and C19 .

Stubby

1 hour ago, Big J said:

(I'll preface this by saying I don't see the point in horses, I don't like horses but I'm sure they taste nice)

Two awfully nice ladies, straddling a pair of lasagne fillers swore at me the other day because I had the sheer impudence to be driving through a village in my car at 25mph on my way to a meeting. I came around a corner, they were just around it. I stopped well clear of their horses and got an earful as a result. 

Can anyone tell me how parading these pointless money pits along country lanes constitutes human exercise? I don't want to see a horse unless it's dragging a log!!

I respect you opinion J and understand your frustration . My wife's horse can't see the point of your low impact forwarder but hey !   The horses are fine round here coz they don't ride on the road . They also only gallop when they can see a fair distance . Its the twatts on the bikes assuming its all for them and no one else . Last week one was stopped with his kids  ( all had bikes ) and said to me could I stop my dog " slobbering on his kids shoes FFS . ( they had taken them off and were playing in the river )  I said my dog does not slobber , she is a spaniel not a bull dog and could you not let your kids leave their shoes where my dog my come into contact with them as I don't want her to catch anything from them . Needless to say he did not get it and he was not from my village . I told him to fuck right off back to Chichester or were ever .

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I respect you opinion J and understand your frustration . My wife's horse can't see the point of your low impact forwarder but hey !   The horses are fine round here coz they don't ride on the road . They also only gallop when they can see a fair distance . Its the twatts on the bikes assuming its all for them and no one else . Last week one was stopped with his kids  ( all had bikes ) and said to me could I stop my dog " slobbering on his kids shoes FFS . ( they had taken them off and were playing in the river )  I said my dog does not slobber , she is a spaniel not a bull dog and could you not let your kids leave their shoes where my dog my come into contact with them as I don't want her to catch anything from them . Needless to say he did not get it and he was not from my village . I told him to fuck right off back to Chichester or were ever .

Nice, Mr Stubbs, nice. My sentiments exactly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Big J said:

I may well be a peasant, but I'm still not sure why that would affect my feelings towards horses! Try as I might, I completely and utterly cannot see the point of them. If you want to go for a nice walk in the countryside, use your legs. Take your family, take your dog, enjoy being off the roads. It must be incredibly stressful riding a horse on roads with 21st century traffic. I even saw one on the bloody A30 the other week!

It all about efficiency you see. You plough through a pheasant or a rabbit on the back lanes, it leaves little to no mark. The damage resultant from a horse (and rider) collision is a little tougher to buff out!

Dumkopf!

1 hour ago, David Cropper said:

Dumkopf!

Why exactly? Horses are a bloody hazard around here. They serve literally no purpose other than to make travel in a car more dangerous. 

I've no objection about them being kept in fields, far from it. It was a bit of a culture shock moving from Scotland to the South West as I can't recall ever having seen horses on the roads up there.

2 hours ago, Big J said:

I even saw one on the bloody A30 the other week!

Today's Darwin Award goes to the young lady on a roadbike in long black leggings (it was a sultry 24C), earplugs in - presumably for the music - and no hat riding up the hard shoulder of the M23 northbound.  I wondered if she was being kind to the planet by cycling to her plane as she took the Gatwick offslip with local Old Bill protecting her from 20yds behind ?

Edited by nepia
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, nepia said:

Today's Darwin Award goes to the young lady on a roadbike in long black leggings (it was a sultry 24C), earplugs in - presumably for the music - and no hat riding up the hard shoulder of the M23 northbound.  I wondered if she was being kind to the planet by cycling to her plane as she took the Gatwick offslip with local Old Bill protecting her from 20yds behind ?

Bloody hell. That is a ticket to see St Peter.

I used to cycle competitively as kid (only did one national level race, but warmed up next to Nicole Cooke and raced against Mark Cavendish. I was distinctly average, doing my 10 miles at Dover in 25:58 nursing tendonitis in my left knee) and continued cycling for a few years recreationally and commuting. I wore headphones ONCE. I got knocked off my bike at a junction in Manchester. It wasn't my fault as a taxi cut across me but I would have heard him coming had I not been riding with headphones in. As such, I think that they are a terrible idea. You're so vulnerable on a bike. Headphones eliminate one of your most vital senses.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Big J said:

Why exactly? Horses are a bloody hazard around here. They serve literally no purpose other than to make travel in a car more dangerous. 

I've no objection about them being kept in fields, far from it. It was a bit of a culture shock moving from Scotland to the South West as I can't recall ever having seen horses on the roads up there.

You have a horse to ride it, not to keep it in a field and admire it. I am now on the piss and have been for sometime so there will be no more transmissions from this station. I shall bid you a good evening. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Totally agree re the earplugs.  Madam was on the hard shoulder; brand new surface, white lines, redesigned exit in the last couple of years.  Bless him an AA flatbed recovery lorry had been doing the protecting bit before Police arrived, doing maybe 15mph in lane 1 with hazards on.  Not a huge risk to himself as traffic was of course very light and that stretch has had a 50mph limit for two years but I'm sure he would have done the same under 'normal' circumstances.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Big J said:

Well J I think a lot depends if you come from an area with a lot of horses and a lot of drivers whom are horse aware. I’m from north east of England and was raised using horses in a working role, my sister also was brought up with them and competed in show jumping etc and latterly horse driving trials up to international level. A lot of drivers nowadays are probs unaware at what an unpredictable thing a horse can be, learning to drive around my home area horses were a common sight. End of the day you can’t dictate what uses the roads based upon wether you think it has a purpose or not J ?‍♂️?‍♂️. I’d hazard a guess and say statistics would prove that horses on the public roads are responsible for very few accidents as opposed to the antics of say, young drivers. 
mind you I do believe that kids under a certain age should not be riding or driving horses on public roads unaccompanied by an adult. 

• Like 2

Been extracting timer this week and what i have seen is beyond belief, hundreds and i mean hundreds of cyclists going past our hard standing stacking area next to a B road, its been a all day thing every day but afternoons have been very busy, most was in couples but there was some groups may be up to 12-15 and one group about 40ish all riding side by side, its not good practice given the present situation, then at the top of the woodland we are working on is a public footpath and thats been packed out all week with walkers and today i have been to change a wheel on a trailer and with in a 6 mile drive probably came across 40-50 cyclists ( or road lice as i call em) hogging the road and every lay by or where you could park a car there was one in it, my thoughts are just let them get on with it and let them do what they are doing but it will be the likes of me who will be laughing, dont go near any one and not worked with any one since all this shit started, and horses dont get me going about them, most are ok but some are total arseholes,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1