Unidentified tree, possibly ill?

Nickt9

Hello and thanks for looking. 

This Hertfordshire tree atop a big hill next to ancient woodland seems very late to the party in terms of leafs. I don’t know what kind it is. It is in my back garden. The previous owners of my house cut back all the branches below a certain height to preserve a view. I’ve tried to get a telescope to see the branches up top and it looks like they’ve got buds, but why so late? 

At head height there is some minimal new growth (pictured). There is also a weird white sheen on the bark low down the tree, not sure if that is a sign of ill health. 

Anything pointers/insights as to what I can do to help/save it (if that’s even needed) would be much appreciated. 

Thank you so much! 

30D568A5-9907-4D17-9EA1-09A06DFA3009.jpeg

DA49FE3B-7916-49D8-95BB-9131BEDBD2A9.jpeg

14B7F566-0A15-4136-A096-DDF93B3C487D.jpeg

C9A115F5-363D-476A-A00A-303A2374FE04.jpeg

It looks like a sycamore to me - go for a wonder around the woodland and see if and how many others are still only just starting to flush, I am sure there will be a few.
I’ve been working in a woods the last few weeks and have been watching - there is a wide gap between all the trees of each species within the woods from the first tree to burst to ones that are still waiting.
I was wondering if perhaps these are single sex trees that are holding on, but haven’t got around looking into it at all yet

Thanks so much for all your replies. It is 100% not a sycamore. We had one Autumn with it and if it was a sycamore I’d have recognised and remembered the distinctive spinner seeds/leaves etc. It’s something else but plumbing the depths of my memory I can’t recall the seeds it gives off. When that small bud unfurls I’ll post a pic and then it will probably be obvious. 

All other trees in the area are fully green. 

• Like 1