Cutting rounds to lengths

Will76

I have an onging supply of hardwood rounds, that I want to feed into something like a Splitta 400 to make logs.

The rounds are are various length, but I require a consistent log length. I require that I can control and vary that length based on packing and customer demands.

What machine(s) will cut rounds accurately to a given length? Preferably automatically. Can I use a firewood processor such as the Woodcutta 400?

Thanks in advance!

Woodcutta would cut rings to a consistant length yes and feed them into Splitta automatically.   Posch now have a similar system.

But you are asking about taking rings of various lengths,  I assume if these are Arb waste then they are likely too be 200mm - 600mm in diameter as maybe up to a meter long.   Looking at my own pile most rings are in the 400mm long area,  as far as I am aware these would need chainsawing by hand.    

Have you seen the japa 435,  this cuts rings into a constant log diameter unlike traditional splitters,  looks like you can just drop pre cut rings up to 435mm diameter into it.  

• Like 1

Thanks for replying. It is arb waste, of all kinds of lengths and diameters.

I think I understand how I will deal with long lengths that have a diameter suitable for processor machine. That seems easy enough.

However a lot of the wood is in rounds of various lengths and diameters.

I guess I have two problems that are vexing me:

Let's assume I require logs that are 25cm long.

1. Rounds that are say 30cm long and have a diameter that fits in a woodcutta. Can something like a woodcutta take a series of 30cm long rounds and then cut to 25cm, for feeding into a splitta? 

2. Rounds that have a diameter too large for a woodcutta. How does one feed these into a woodcutta? Split them into quarters first? Will a firewood processor deal with quartered rounds?

Sorry we're newbies at this and doing some research before we invest in any way. Sorry for the dumb questions. I am sure there will be more!

What your asking is you want a machine to take 50mm of the end of a 300mm round from arbe waist so you can pack it in to a nice neat package for sale, i think your barking up the wrong tree here, from 40+ years of being in the tree / firewood market, i think if you go and buy a machine to try and do the above i can just see it as a wast of money, and it would be far quicker doing it with a chain saw, what your after is a machine that will do what you want, and sometimes there is not a machine to do that task, but nothing is impossible, one thing i will say is arbe waste is very time consuming as nothing is the same length, the machine your after i think you need to build yourself and then it will only have the one use ?, chainsaw, hardwork and a lot of time may be the best/quicker/cheaper way to process your logs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Will76 said:

Thanks for replying. It is arb waste, of all kinds of lengths and diameters.

I think I understand how I will deal with long lengths that have a diameter suitable for processor machine. That seems easy enough.

However a lot of the wood is in rounds of various lengths and diameters.

I guess I have two problems that are vexing me:

Let's assume I require logs that are 25cm long.

1. Rounds that are say 30cm long and have a diameter that fits in a woodcutta. Can something like a woodcutta take a series of 30cm long rounds and then cut to 25cm, for feeding into a splitta? 

2. Rounds that have a diameter too large for a woodcutta. How does one feed these into a woodcutta? Split them into quarters first? Will a firewood processor deal with quartered rounds?

Sorry we're newbies at this and doing some research before we invest in any way. Sorry for the dumb questions. I am sure there will be more!

1. You need a jig that one end of the log can sit against while you cut the excess length off - you can achieve this by using a rocking beam circular saw  or a processor - but it is a seriously bad idea and very dangerous in my view - make a jig you can throw your rounds on to with a length indication that will not get in the way of a chainsaw - don't put a lot of time into it because you will throw it away pretty quickly

2. Hit it with an axe or run a chainsaw through it

13 minutes ago, muldonach said:

but it is a seriously bad idea and very dangerous in my view

Thanks for your reply. I didn't quite follow your response. Are you saying a processor or a rocking beam circular saw would be very dangerous?

on point 2. Will a processor take quartered rounds?

4 minutes ago, Will76 said:

Thanks for your reply. I didn't quite follow your response. Are you saying a processor or a rocking beam circular saw would be very dangerous?

on point 2. Will a processor take quartered rounds?

what you are apparently looking for is something to cut a small amount of excess length off - processors and circular saws generally have an end stop that you butt the timber end up to and then push it against or activate the blade - in the example you give there will be 25cm of timber on one side and 5cm on the other - the snag is that that 5cm piece is where you (or the machine) would normally be holding or pushing the timber - you would be using the machine in a different manner to that intended and your hands are likely to be far to close to cutting implements.

2 - if it will go into the splitting chamber and engage with both ram and splitting knife it will be fine - but it is also a bit tedious.

Your 5/8/2/12 etc cm offcuts from whatever process you choose are going to quickly mount up and also produce a lot of sawdust/waste in their creation.
If you are looking for a continuous automated process for cutting rings to a consistent thickness then you need to allow for the odd-length offcuts being measured into the following ring - only the first ring would be the correct thickness unless you can separate this surplus before presentation.

I think you need to either rethink your feedstock (buy in uniform timber if you need to sell a uniform product) or adapt your market (sell uneven logs). Obviously you could do a combination of the two and grade your product as you split. 

Not an expert here. However. Are all your logs to be the same legnth or do yuo have clients that specify a 25cm log and some that specify 30? If so this makes it a bit safer, a 27cm log can go into the 30cm pile for example, a 35cm log can be cut to 25 and this adds al larger factor of safety  if needed. I'll also assume and knowing what logs I pick up that some will be undersized - if this is not an issue, I guess cutting threm undersized will aso not be an issue. Just trying to make that 5cm end to cut off a bit longer.

If your secs are tight though, I would be tempted to split the -slightly oversized- wood first keeping it in a seperate pile and with these thinner logs you can get a bench circular saw or siimilar (with suitable guards and guides, hold the long end and cut off the small pieces with thst.