Spray paint advice

With all the spare time on my hands at the moment I thought I would touch up the chipper (paint I mean, I'm not that fond of it!).

Well it was a lot worse that I thought, classic tw125 seams rusted etc and so far I have rubbed down and primed the engine and fan housing.

The spray shop I ordered my top coat from recommended non iso 2k paint as harder wearing and better around fuel etc so I went for it.

I have very little experience in this field and Google gives mixed reviews and ideas.

Has anybody got experience with these type of aerosols? Am I best to do 3-4 light coats 30mins apart or closer while paint is still tacky?

Some of the stories suggest if you don't get it right it doesn't harden properly.

Also any idea how long to leave until I use the machine again.

Thanks in advance

Hi mate if you are unsure with the spray cans just dust it on lightly and as many coats as the paint allows but if you are quite good with a spray can lay it on a bit thicker but be warned if it’s too thick it will run so it’s up to how good you are at spraying 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi mate if you are unsure with the spray cans just dust it on lightly and as many coats as the paint allows but if you are quite good with a spray can lay it on a bit thicker but be warned if it’s too thick it will run so it’s up to how good you are at spraying 

Thanks for the advice, I'm not too bad at light spraying it's the fact that it's 2pack non iso that was worrying me with the hardening etc

18 minutes ago, Husqvarna King said:

Thanks for the advice, I'm not too bad at light spraying it's the fact that it's 2pack non iso that was worrying me with the hardening etc

Don’t get too concerned re 2 pack paint except make sure to use face mask!

i was told years ago “ a fag break” between coats

• Like 1

Hi it’s quite forgiving if it’s anything like the iso ,my first job was spray painter I did a 3 yr apprenticeship spraying Rolls Royce and other prestige cars and we mostly used iso 2pack that’s why my lungs are F###ed ,so if it goes on the same just crack on not too thick on the first coat it should look like dust and then the second coat a bit thicker so it looks wet but be careful not to get runs ,if in dought just build it up with as many thin ish coats as your paint will allow ,just out of interest what colour are you painting as black is the hardest it shows all the sanding marks a 360/400 wet and dry used wet to sand the primer degrease with thinners or panel wipe .good luck and do post a photo 

40 minutes ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi it’s quite forgiving if it’s anything like the iso ,my first job was spray painter I did a 3 yr apprenticeship spraying Rolls Royce and other prestige cars and we mostly used iso 2pack that’s why my lungs are F###ed ,so if it goes on the same just crack on not too thick on the first coat it should look like dust and then the second coat a bit thicker so it looks wet but be careful not to get runs ,if in dought just build it up with as many thin ish coats as your paint will allow ,just out of interest what colour are you painting as black is the hardest it shows all the sanding marks a 360/400 wet and dry used wet to sand the primer degrease with thinners or panel wipe .good luck and do post a photo 

Thanks, going to start it soon, I'm only spraying the orange at the mo, appreciate the tips ?

So I put my top coat on today, the orange ral 2004 that timberwolf recommend is terrible against my 6 year old paint and after applying 2 cans - 4 coats ( to just the engine and fan section) I ran out of paint.

I'm gutted it looks awful, although the paint seems quite good. Should I let it dry and start all over again, rub down undercoat and respray with more cans this time? ?

37 minutes ago, Husqvarna King said:

So I put my top coat on today, the orange ral 2004 that timberwolf recommend is terrible against my 6 year old paint and after applying 2 cans - 4 coats ( to just the engine and fan section) I ran out of paint.

I'm gutted it looks awful, although the paint seems quite good. Should I let it dry and start all over again, rub down undercoat and respray with more cans this time? ?

Don’t know Upload some pictures