ULEZ

AngrySquirrel

24 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Concur Kev, am anxiously awaiting yr imminent rise to this country's Primal Director  of Social Correction, with the New Monthly Diktat on  guiding yr minions ?

"MY LIEGE , how we baint managed wi'out  yr  greet wisdom an benevolent floggings i'll be buggered if I knoes..... tha' knoes"  (  'appen)   k

Buggered you may well be - just to set an example to the masses! 

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, AngrySquirrel said:

Simple it's called NOX why now they have banned green/wet wood types for wood burners

Wet wood doesn't get hot enough to produce NOx, formation is favoured by high temperature, excess oxygen and often pressure, hence why diesels emit it at certain engine loads.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

You danced around the point quite nicely. There is no blanket ‘ban’ as you called it irt what is burned. 

There are ‘clean air zones’ where some regulation is in force and there are accredited schemes with detailed criterion for product. 

That’s some world away from the ‘banning’ of ANYTHING! Also, where are your stat’s that compare narrow boat wood fuel emissions with sea freight, aviation and road transport?

?

I'd like to know who burns logs on narrowboats, most everyone I know burns coal because they simply don't have the space to store logs. A half decent permanent mooring in London is somewhere between £15 and £30k a year (I'm not joking) and about as big as a postage stamp, that's why I never went down there in my boat. In comparison my mooring in the Midlands cost £30/week and included a parking space, room for a shed and a small garden. Oh, and by the way, you aren't a boater if a) you buy a boat and use it as a flat on the water, and b) you haven't fallen in the cut on many occasions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe true but people don't usually stand next to the jumbo,  unlike walking past  the boats on the  canal tow path.

Also coal smoke always seems more unpleasant/worse than woodsmoke, but unsure about the "smokless" coal stuff.

Whats worse for pollution?

Particulate emission factors for wood ranged from 1.6 to 6.4 g/kg (fuel) and were found to depend on the fuel load and the firing rate, as indicated by earlier studies. ... The average particulate emission factors for bituminous and anthracite coal are 10.4 and 0.50 g/kg, respectively.

image.png.44e0b15b2fb5693c8f1037301a78e5e6.png

Edited by Stere