ULEZ

AngrySquirrel

Supposedly all new vehicles will be lecky by 2040 or before  but seems a very unrealistic target atm unless they increase subsidies for them or fuel tax etc?

Also not sure there enough lithium in boliva?

Probably woodfires banned by then in cities i reckon.

Edited by Stere

11 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

You’ve opened up the narrow boat angle now....

Standby!

@eggsarascal

I don't think I've heard such a crock in my life, there are over 2k miles of inland waterways, most of which is empty. In the big cities there are boats packed in, but on the whole, and time of year, I could go days without seeing another boat. To suggest you  would choke walking down the towpath is somewhat ridiculous.

If there is anything to worry about it would be moored boats running engines to keep batteries topped up when the solar isn't pulling much in.

Edited by eggsarascal
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, AngrySquirrel said:

Simple it's called NOX why now they have banned green/wet wood types for wood burners

You danced around the point quite nicely. There is no blanket ‘ban’ as you called it irt what is burned. 

There are ‘clean air zones’ where some regulation is in force and there are accredited schemes with detailed criterion for product. 

That’s some world away from the ‘banning’ of ANYTHING! Also, where are your stat’s that compare narrow boat wood fuel emissions with sea freight, aviation and road transport?

?

Marine deisel is pretty foul. High sulphur. Think We are in fr a change of heart soon. Have rebooked dive holiday fr later in year but really not sure if it will be possible. I think leisure air travel will be hit hard.  The domino effect of this will be severe on jobs.  Seeing a huge improvement in Town, air quality much better. Now if Sadiques figures on London respiratory illness deaths of between 30,000 and 40,000 a year are correct, the balance between the previous working practises and these new ones (  almost compulsory homeworking and social distancing / essential journey only ) will have to be looked at hard  for future benefit.  K

• Like 2

As a postscript. .... the gf got told she could either move to Europe to their head office or was out of a job, they refused home working  ( it's an international company )  .... guess wot.... they have extended her contract an she is mostly organising the home working system   ?   K

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Marine deisel is pretty foul. High sulphur. Think We are in fr a change of heart soon. Have rebooked dive holiday fr later in year but really not sure if it will be possible. I think leisure air travel will be hit hard.  The domino effect of this will be severe on jobs.  Seeing a huge improvement in Town, air quality much better. Now if Sadiques figures on London respiratory illness deaths of between 30,000 and 40,000 a year are correct, the balance between the previous working practises and these new ones (  almost compulsory homeworking and social distancing / essential journey only ) will have to be looked at hard  for future benefit.  K

There's a big shake up a-coming I hope too.

Chap on wireless this morning thought big airline adjustments / losses would be seen in the business sector with scheduled flights going off a cliff and it may only be saved by leisure / pleasure flights of the holiday / tourism sector.  

I would think there are quite a lot of people enjoying the newly freshened air they are breathing but are they sensible enough to realise it is, in very large part, their own activities that will take us back to higher levels of pollution.  Tough call for the masses - like the classic, "I love trees, but could you cut that one down for me", how many of the fat, sun burned, drunken, glutinous masses will be willing to forego their own cheap all inclusive package deals to Marmaris?  

"I love the environment, but all the Watneys Red Barrel and fish and chips I can eat, including flights and accom for £500/week - it's a deal, it's a steal, it's sale of the fucking century!"  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's a big shake up a-coming I hope too.

Chap on wireless this morning thought big airline adjustments / losses would be seen in the business sector with scheduled flights going off a cliff and it may only be saved by leisure / pleasure flights of the holiday / tourism sector.  

I would think there are quite a lot of people enjoying the newly freshened air they are breathing but are they sensible enough to realise it is, in very large part, their own activities that will take us back to higher levels of pollution.  Tough call for the masses - like the classic, "I love trees, but could you cut that one down for me", how many of the fat, sun burned, drunken, glutinous masses will be willing to forego their own cheap all inclusive package deals to Marmaris?  

"I love the environment, but all the Watneys Red Barrel and fish and chips I can eat, including flights and accom for £500/week - it's a deal, it's a steal, it's sale of the fucking century!"  

I always chuckle at the mass of pantaloon and sandal wearing students at Heathrow, with their “save the planet” t-shirts, off to work at an elephant hospital in Thailand for their gap year!
Oh the irony as they board the A380, carrying 80,000 gallons of jet fuel![emoji849]
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, eggsarascal said:

I don't think I've heard such a crock in my life, there are over 2k miles of inland waterways, most of which is empty. In the big cities there are boats packed in, but on the whole, and time of year, I could go days without seeing another boat. To suggest you  would choke walking down the towpath is somewhat ridiculous.

If there is anything to worry about it would be moored boats running engines to keep batteries topped up when the solar isn't pulling much in.

you obviously havent been along the Regents canal many runners/users complain of it myself give place a wide berth mostly but can see  a smog layer along there on CCTV when isn't too windy bad on damp mornings

• Like 1

Concur Kev, am anxiously awaiting yr imminent rise to this country's Primal Director  of Social Correction, with the New Monthly Diktat on  guiding yr minions ?

"MY LIEGE , how we baint managed wi'out  yr  greet wisdom an benevolent floggings i'll be buggered if I knoes..... tha' knoes"  (  'appen)   k