Log Store Solid or Slatted ???

Witterings

4 minutes ago, Witterings said:

Thinking about buying a log store mainly for seasoning as I can keep about a years supply under a covered sideway, some of them come in  a choice of solid or slatted versions, would slatted be better for seasoning or is rainwater likely to get in??

Slatted .

• Like 4

Don't over think it too much, my experience is that logs dry quite well in many different places.  Unless you have particularly bad conditions you'll not have trouble either way. About the only thing I've found important is a good quality covering over the winter if it's as continuously wet as last winter! Buy the cheapest/best value.

• Like 2

Don't know if this will help, but here's a pic of my recently finished store. ( If I'm honest, I wanted to show it off ). ? Rear is slatted, with 3" gaps at least. Internal sides are solid, and front is obviously open. About six feet high at rear,  nearly eight at front. Logs sit straight onto a concrete floor. I know from standing in it that the airflow is considerable, on a breezy day.  Oldest logs currently on right, newest on left. This is domestic, by the way, the house and water is all heated by a Charnwood stove, and boy do we shift some timber 

Log Store.jpg

• Like 6

Slatted will better for seasoning with air moving through logs above and below them also try to situate woodshed in most windy spot to make use of the wind as much as possible, ideally with front facing away from prevailing wind. If looking to keep about a years supply of wood in shed as the time needed to season logs differs very quick and fairly quick drying species would be most appropriate.

• Like 1

I'd just say, get ideas on line and build your own log store.  All the ones I looked at were rather expensive.  Mine is made from fence posts and planks recycled from pallets.  Only paid for screws, nails and wood treatment. (fence posts are ones rotted off below ground they are still over 6' long).

• Like 3