Brian James tipper trailer, good or bad?

The dogwalker

This is a bit off topic, so excuse me, but:

Speaking of tipping overloaded trailers, across all brands, what is you guys experience? Does the hyraulics give up first, or does something break up first?
I am fairly concerned with overloading, we try our best to calculate loads, and i weigh as many loads as can make sense. But sometimes you get supriced. In short, I am looking for some peace of mind. If the hydraulics give up first, then we can just unload some manually, but if something breaks first, then i might be extra worried about overloads.
We have a 2700kg Henra, but any expereiences are welcome ?

Edited by KristofferNJ

• 3 months later...

I have been looking to buy a new tipper recently, either TT3017 IFW or the Brian James equiv.    

I have asked both about thickness of the solid sides,  IFW dealer says 3mm on the optional solid extension sheets, Brian James says 2 mm on the lower part of the sides and only 1mm on the optional upper parts.    While 1mm might be OK for chip there is no way that it would remain looking decent if we are loading rings into it either with a loader or holding the trunk over the trailer and sawing them through.  Brain James says they are more concearned about weight saving and the ease of getting them on and off.  

My local IFW dealer is quoting March 21 and wont give me a price as there is an imminent IFW price rise and all trailers leaving the works are charged at the current price that day.  My next nearest in giving me mid Jan.

The Jan guy says his trailers are ordered with the HD tyre option,  185/70R13.     I would have thought the HD version would be the 195/60R12,  20mm lower body and wider tyre.   Anyone any thoughts on this.

T I A

A

Edited by Alycidon

16 minutes ago, Alycidon said:

I have been looking to buy a new tipper recently, either TT3017 IFW or the Brian James equiv.    

I have asked both about thickness of the solid sides,  IFW dealer says 3mm on the optional solid extension sheets, Brian James says 2 mm on the lower part of the sides and only 1mm on the optional upper parts.    While 1mm might be OK for chip there is no way that it would remain looking decent if we are loading rings into it either with a loader or holding the trunk over the trailer and sawing them through.  Brain James says they are more concearned about weight saving and the ease of getting them on and off.  

My local IFW dealer is quoting March 21 and wont give me a price as there is an imminent IFW price rise and all trailers leaving the works are charged at the current price that day.  My next nearest in giving me mid Jan.

The Jan guy says his trailers are ordered with the HD tyre option,  185/70R13.     I would have thought the HD version would be the 195/60R12,  20mm lower body and wider tyre.   Anyone any thoughts on this.

T I A

A

Have a look, at their Instagram page. They are in the process of interviewing owners ,filming them , and the results are currently being added. My video will be online tomorrow, but there is one now from Peter Woolnough, a member here, on his tipper. He, like me, is moving away from ifor for a number of reasons. 

Brian James are the second largest trailer manufacturer , and bearing in mind they do not do livestock or horse trailers, that's quite impressive.

Ifor has  been sold to the Chinese with production moving abroad. It's time to jump ship

Edited by dig-dug-dan
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Alycidon said:

T I A

A

My previous TT3621 had the 13" rims, new one has the 12".

I think the 12" is supposed to give a stiffer ride, less flex in the rubber or something like that. Only difference ive noticed is that i wore a set of tyres out quickly (although i think this was the tyre fitted rather than the size, the non local (in sweden) ifor dealer replacements have hardly worn at all)

A colleague has a BJ cargo tiltbed trailer, with the high sides. i do like the latch systems, and some of the features. Plus when his was new it diddnt rattle which was nice - the ifor with high sides rattles from new, his BJ too now after a couple of years.

But we both agree that the BJ sides wouldnt stand up to any where near the abuse the Ifor sides take (it was the thickness of the metal that put me off going for a BJ tipper) You cant even stand on the lip of the lower sides on the BJ as they just fold.

I think BJ has a better range (with nice features) for plant transport, but Ifor is better for daily abuse, over loading etc for tree work.

The Ifor solid aluminium sides bend with rings - I don’t think they are 3mm on mine personally.

The 13 inch wheel/tyre option is definitely the one to go for (even though it gives a marginally higher loading height). Much tougher tyres with reinforced sidewalls and all-terrain tread.

A customer had a nearly new high-sided BJ on site this week - it looked the part and had some good features but all the sides were bent (and they only load brash into it by hand). It wouldn’t last five mins with rings/logs etc, or being machine loaded imo.

Ifor rattle etc but they are very robust and hold their money better than anything else.

2mm and 1mm sounds a bit thin for the BJ sides; the tops certainly are thin though and won't take bashing with trunk rings etc - I think I've said this earlier in the thread.  But bear in mind that the lower drop sides are double skinned and reinforced internally so I could be wrong.

Comments above about not standing on the high sides' ribs etc are spot on.

@Alycidon if you want me to check those thicknesses (and tyres) I 'm happy to do so.

T I A

A
If you're going to drop rings in, isn't it worth lining with some half inch ply to give the sides some bounce anyway?

I've also been thinking about a topper and want to look at Nugent too.