Ifor Williams Tipping Trailer - manual pump

Given that I live on the west coast of Scotland I am surprised to be able to say that I visited his workshop/factory/showroom a couple of years ago after the APF show.  The owner seemed a decent guy and his trailers looked to be OK.  Was quite happy to chew the fat with us and answer lots of questions even though my colleague told him he was probably going to but an Ifor.  Looked to have an interesting 3-way tipper which was the reason for our visit - being able to tip firewood either side in driveways is/was seen to be a useful feature. 

May not help you with feedback on using the trailers but at least they ahve been around a while.

• Like 1

Given that I live on the west coast of Scotland I am surprised to be able to say that I visited his workshop/factory/showroom a couple of years ago after the APF show.  The owner seemed a decent guy and his trailers looked to be OK.  Was quite happy to chew the fat with us and answer lots of questions even though my colleague told him he was probably going to but an Ifor.  Looked to have an interesting 3-way tipper which was the reason for our visit - being able to tip firewood either side in driveways is/was seen to be a useful feature. 
May not help you with feedback on using the trailers but at least they ahve been around a while.

You remember the bosses name? Was it Les? [emoji6]

Afraid I cannot remember.  I'll ask my pal as he took the card from the guy.

Its no bother, just curious thats all. Les is the guy who emailed me today with some figures and offerings [emoji6] the 18 month old one he had in is very reasonable in my mind. Its not an everyday used thing for me, so will stand up to what i need it for no bother. Ifor and Nugent and Bateson etc are astronomical money 2nd hand, and theyre proper battered at that. I’m probably going to do the deal to be honest the more i think about it, just waiting on some more info and pics regarding it, but fingers crossed?

If I remember correctly (we looked at a lot of trailers that week :001_unsure: ) he had a couple of different types.  The HD one seemed to be well built whereas the lightweight model looked like it would not be so good at coping with the abuse we tend to give them.  My mate was impressed by the 3-way tip as previously stated, but was concerned that the way the ram was mounted compromised the ground clearance.  I think this is typical with most 3-way tippers to be honest.  The 'normal' tipper looked to be strong and well built.

We decided to stick with Ifors because we are based a long way from anywhere and they have a reasonable support network for spares etc.  Yeovil is almost 600 miles from us but they seemed to offer good support at that time.

Edit:  Thinking further on this, he was more than willing to make any mods that we required, and from what I remember their brake/axle/hitch systems were pretty much standard units. 

Edited by waterbuoy
  • Like 1

Yeah they use the Knott braked hitch, they will do any bespoke mods needed and still give full galvanised hot dip treatment etc plus warranties on them, seem a good honest bunch to be honest! For me though hes offered a 2nd hand 18 month old one for nearly £1400 under the new price, which is good in my eyes. Ally planked floor too. Its all pretty good to be honest for my needs! [emoji106]

1 hour ago, Ratman said:

18 month old one for nearly £1400 under the new price,

Sorry Andy but does that not tell you something ? that trailer has lost nearly £80 a month, £20 a week, £2.50p per day seems a lot of cash to loose, If my Ifor has lost £1400 in 5 years i will be very dissapointed ! looking at the prices of trailers (before lockdown) i would be looking at a loss of about £250 over 5 yrs, so about a £1 a week to have a trailer that i nearly use every day, I looked at the cheaper trailers to save a few quid and it just made no sense to buy one, the Ifor resale value is second to none, think carefully about it,

• Like 1

10 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

Sorry Andy but does that not tell you something ? that trailer has lost nearly £80 a month, £20 a week, £2.50p per day seems a lot of cash to loose, If my Ifor has lost £1400 in 5 years i will be very dissapointed ! looking at the prices of trailers (before lockdown) i would be looking at a loss of about £250 over 5 yrs, so about a £1 a week to have a trailer that i nearly use every day, I looked at the cheaper trailers to save a few quid and it just made no sense to buy one, the Ifor resale value is second to none, think carefully about it,

Yeah but it isn’t going to drop that much more. Fair point if buying new but that sounds like the right money secondhand. 

• Like 1