Alpine tractors, importing/buying from afar....

IronMike

Just wondered if anyone has any experience (good or bad) of importing equipment into the UK? As I have time on my hands, I'm busy perusing the world wide web and keep finding myself tumbling down alpine tractor rabbit holes..... 

So I've been chatting to a few people, and trying to find an additional piece of kit to compliment the Logbullet and my overall low impact approach. An alpine tractor with winch and potential for other attachments is top of the list. 

There isn't a great deal for sale in the UK but further afield there is much on offer. Any particular things to be looking for? Good brands? Bad brands? Anyone imported anything themselves? I have arranged the delivery of the Logbullet myself, but any personal experience of alpines would be appreciated. 

Fire away folks. Budget is 10-15k realistically, that's to buy machine and get it here. 

Edited by IronMike
Spelling

My brother recently got one from Holland, I'll find the name later. They had a great selection but mostly ex polytunnel and landscape machines so would need some mods for forestry work. Way way cheaper than uk prices. He ended up with an Antonio Carrera, approx 45hp for around 6k. Decent, basic machine which has excellent maneuverability. No front linkage at that money though.

14 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

My brother recently got one from Holland, I'll find the name later. They had a great selection but mostly ex polytunnel and landscape machines so would need some mods for forestry work. Way way cheaper than uk prices. He ended up with an Antonio Carrera, approx 45hp for around 6k. Decent, basic machine which has excellent maneuverability. No front linkage at that money though.

Excellent. That’s the kind of info I was after mate! ?? 

if I can get a wee one like that, 40-50hp, and get a good winch and maybe a small pto chipper then I’ll be laughing. 

Edited by IronMike

41 minutes ago, IronMike said:

Excellent. That’s the kind of info I was after mate! ?? 

if I can get a wee one like that, 40-50hp, and get a good winch and maybe a small pto chipper then I’ll be laughing. 

Cant remember the name now, tried the brother but no answer, when I either remember the name or find out from him I'll post a link.

One of the caveats with getting a grey import or importing yourself is checking whether parts and service are available in the UK. Some importers or suppliers  don't handle grey import machines and you end up in bother! Better now with the internet etc to get stuff and parts from abroad but still a ball ache!

A well known brand of tractor/mower/digger/engines with a sizeable position in  the UK will put the phone down on a parts call if they didn't import it!

As Pete says, really check the parts offering to support your import. The local cricket club in our village have a grey import tractor. It looks like a New Holland TC27D. But its something weird. Literally cannot get one specific spare for it apart from matching up filters and tyres, perhaps. 

If you find a tractor, ring where you would intend to buy the spares from and sound them out... 

Resale value maybe non existent too if its undesirable, could easily loose more in depreciation than a more expensive main stream tractor. 

Edited by GA Groundcare
  • Like 1