Which mill

Forest2Furniture

2 hours ago, dudders said:

If you're thinking of buying a new Logosol B1001, have a look at the USA-made Thomas 3220.  It's what tops my list just now as I'm about to replace my Trekkasaw.  Similar spec to the Logosol, but it can tilt to cut featheredge boards.  The Logosol will only cut flat.  It's £1400 cheaper than the Logosol, but about £2500 for delivery, instead of £350!  But if someone else bought one same time as me and they were shipped together, the freight charge would go down enough to get it here for about the same price as the Logosol.

THOMASBANDSAWMILLS.COM

Thomas Bandsaw Mills, OEM in Brooks, ME offers different types of portable bandsaw mills including model 3220. This...

Mmmmm that is impressive.  I will need to replace my Norwood at some point and that does look a lot of saw for your money.  To be able to cut up to 32 inches wide is impressive for a saw of that price.

And I do agree with you, parts should not be a problem.  In fact I often find it quicker and cheaper to order parts from the USA even when they are available here in the UK.  I needed a new carb for my Lucas Mill a couple of years back and I tried to get it about a week before Christmas.  The local guys said things like...."Ooooohhh you won't get it until the second week of the new year."  So I found a dealer in USA who I spoke to over the phone; he had the exact correct spec OE Kohler carb on the shelf, and it went in the post the same day.  It flew to Heathrow Christmas day and even with customs clearance it was in my hands late December.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Squaredy said:

Mmmmm that is impressive.  I will need to replace my Norwood at some point and that does look a lot of saw for your money.  To be able to cut up to 32 inches wide is impressive for a saw of that price.

And I do agree with you, parts should not be a problem.  In fact I often find it quicker and cheaper to order parts from the USA even when they are available here in the UK.  I needed a new carb for my Lucas Mill a couple of years back and I tried to get it about a week before Christmas.  The local guys said things like...."Ooooohhh you won't get it until the second week of the new year."  So I found a dealer in USA who I spoke to over the phone; he had the exact correct spec OE Kohler carb on the shelf, and it went in the post the same day.  It flew to Heathrow Christmas day and even with customs clearance it was in my hands late December.  

Fair comment gav but 2.5 k shipping costs ???

30 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Fair comment gav but 2.5 k shipping costs ???

Yes that is hefty I agree.  As the OP said if a couple could come over at the same time it might be more reasonable.  I think the high cost is due to the fact it comes as one fully assembled.

Having had to assemble my Norwood from a box of bits I would def pay $2500 to avoid doing this again....!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think what counts is the delivered price of the machine of your choice - maybe not important how that total adds up?  If two Thomas 3220 mills were shipped together, ie: in one container, the price delivered to each buyer would be about the same as a Logosol B1001.  Sure, the Logosol comes with a free sharpener (at the moment), but the Thomas cuts featheredge, which the Logosol doesn't, and has a better motor (IMO).  So, not a lot in it.  

I don't know yet what's going to take over from the old Trekkasaw.  Needs to be 16' cut, 28" cant and the best quality manufacture there is.  I'll skip on setworks, hydraulics, winch, trailer etc, so just a basic mill, (ie: what I'm used to!).  But what I save on extras I can put into quality - I want to be using this in 20 years' time, or be able to resell for top-dollar when the time comes.  I've checked out Woodmizer, Norwood, Frontier, Timberking, Logosol, Thomas, Cooks, (not Thomas Cook's...) Woodland Mills, Serra, and a couple of swing-mills.  It gets complicated!   Especially as no-one says their choice of sawmill was a mistake.  And they're probably right - really, they're all the same, basic tool, just with minor differences in extras and build-quality.  

6 minutes ago, dudders said:

I think what counts is the delivered price of the machine of your choice - maybe not important how that total adds up?  If two Thomas 3220 mills were shipped together, ie: in one container, the price delivered to each buyer would be about the same as a Logosol B1001.  Sure, the Logosol comes with a free sharpener (at the moment), but the Thomas cuts featheredge, which the Logosol doesn't, and has a better motor (IMO).  So, not a lot in it.  

I don't know yet what's going to take over from the old Trekkasaw.  Needs to be 16' cut, 28" cant and the best quality manufacture there is.  I'll skip on setworks, hydraulics, winch, trailer etc, so just a basic mill, (ie: what I'm used to!).  But what I save on extras I can put into quality - I want to be using this in 20 years' time, or be able to resell for top-dollar when the time comes.  I've checked out Woodmizer, Norwood, Frontier, Timberking, Logosol, Thomas, Cooks, (not Thomas Cook's...) Woodland Mills, Serra, and a couple of swing-mills.  It gets complicated!   Especially as no-one says their choice of sawmill was a mistake.  And they're probably right - really, they're all the same, basic tool, just with minor differences in extras and build-quality.  

Welcome to the forum to start with and you have a great amount of knowledge.2 welsh lads straight on with you which has been a nice intro ?

• Like 1

Dang - sorry to hear that!  That's why I'm being so thorough on the research, and prepared to shell out more for the right tool.  Should be cheaper in the long run and a good machine should be a pleasure to use, not a pain.

Have to say, Norwood is the only make I've heard grumbles about, so it's already bottom of the list, along with a couple of Chinese jobs, one of them being Frontier, which is a budget version of Norwood!  Perhaps no coincidence that those three makes are all the cheapest?

Just been researching the EU Machinery Directive for some info on standards, and found that the commission actually has what is officially called the:

Horizontal Committee

No, I have no idea either.  And before you ask: yes, there is indeed a Vertical Committee.  Presumably they're the ones standing up, rather than lying down? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dudders said:

Just been researching the EU Machinery Directive for some info on standards, and found that the commission actually has what is officially called the:

Horizontal Committee

No, I have no idea either.  And before you ask: yes, there is indeed a Vertical Committee.  Presumably they're the ones standing up, rather than lying down? 

Just as well as put this post in polish to understand or we will need Big J to translate 

34 minutes ago, dudders said:

Horizontal Committee

That'll be about horizontal and vertical direct effect.