Which mill

Forest2Furniture

2 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

With a grapple on ??

Yeah log grapple 

space was limited Les where I stored them. So opportunity to stack with loading in mind was not really an option. To tell truth when I’m done with next few projects and finished processing what I have left I may look to downsize a bit. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Yeah log grapple 

space was limited Les where I stored them. So opportunity to stack with loading in mind was not really an option. To tell truth when I’m done with next few projects and finished processing what I have left I may look to downsize a bit. 

Lack of space does restrict you i get that. Was going to suggest making up a loading platform where the logs could have been loaded onto. Platform could have been knocked up using the timber your cutting and raised to the height  level with the sawmill bed. Pull up the mill and roll the logs on rather than winch them on. Cut down 2 hours a day on production and easier on the body. Just trying to help buddy ?

Edited by topchippyles

3 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

Surely anyone who can afford a reasonable entry level bandsaw can finance an old forklift for 1.5 - 2k, as operating without one would be insanely inefficient if you factor in moving the slabs. After all that's what they were designed for - moving and stacking things !

Why ??? what if the purchase cost most of someones savings then. No magic wand involved :bash:

• Like 1

The good old days of save up and then buy something are what a lot of us were brought up with. That said I can't think of any successful business that started in the last 15 years that got to where they are today without finance.

It took me many years to get that concept in business, when I did it was a game changer. ( not suggesting extravagance, we have plenty of well maintained old machines still. )

Money is low cost right now so a good time to build your business.

Big J. will explain very eloquently when he has the time. 

3 hours ago, topchippyles said:

Lack of space does restrict you i get that. Was going to suggest making up a loading platform where the logs could have been loaded onto. Platform could have been knocked up using the timber your cutting and raised to the height  level with the sawmill bed. Pull up the mill and roll the logs on rather than winch them on. Cut down 2 hours a day on production and easier on the body. Just trying to help buddy ?

No I get that Les if time had been on my side that would have been the obvious choice, but the option  to buy the logs was offered on a come today and make a decision short notice deal. basically site had to be cleared so I ended up with them a lot quicker than anticipated plus days after delivery I left to do a job in Germany. As regards the fork lift loading option the milling is mainly for myself so I’m under no time pressure admittedly it would make life easier but it would just be another piece of kit to store and look after that wouldn’t get used a lot of the time. As I said earlier I may  part with the mill anyway once the last few jobs I had in mind are done. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, topchippyles said:

Thats what Ive built. Although its a bit small its sunk into the ground at the back so its a small ramp to the rear but level with the Mill at the front.  I do fell you're teaching Dave to suck eggs though. ;)

2 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

Surely anyone who can afford a reasonable entry level bandsaw can finance an old forklift for 1.5 - 2k, as operating without one would be insanely inefficient if you factor in moving the slabs. After all that's what they were designed for - moving and stacking things !

I cant currently. I maxed out my budget and then some getting the Mill I wanted. But then Im not Milling for money, just a hobby.