New build - help with this burner and regulations?

Buel

Hi again all,

We are in the process of buying a new build house which is due to be completed in July. We've always wanted a logburner and so have agreed with the developer to have a fireplace built in the living room. As this is a bespoke request, they've asked us what measurements we have in mind.

We think the most suitable stove for us will be the Charnwood Aire (thanks to the advice on this forum) and have taken a look at the product's measurements (image of these below) along with the fire safety regulations that we could find online, however, we are still apprehensive about passing these on to the developer until an expert has agreed that they would meet fire regulations. We have contacted our local stove supplier who we are hoping to purchase the Charnwood Aire from to see if they would be able to help, but we are waiting to hear back so in the meantime I thought I would post on this forum and see if anyone could help. 

Please see the below diagram - would this fireplace and stove setup comply with current fire safety regulations on a new build property? 

aaaaa.jpg

bbbb.PNG

37 minutes ago, Buel said:

fire safety regulations that we could find online,

You need to study Part J of the building regulations

WWW.PLANNINGPORTAL.CO.UK

Details of Part J (Approved Document J) of the Building Regulations

the stove fitter should be able to advise and @Alycidon seems to be able to quote them off the top of his head, I'm out of touch.

• Like 1

do not know about the current regs but I would make the hearth slightly deeper and full with of the chimney breast  then you can stand a log basket on it 

it might sound daft but make shore they are putting a flue right up to the roof or are you going with a metal flue on the outside wall

I do know someone that bought new build and asked for a light in the cupboard under the stairs  which they got but there was no switch to turn it off, the builders said you never asked for a switch 

• Haha 1

Hi,

I am a Charnwood dealer so may be able to help.

What you have there looks fine assuming you are planning to flue it from the top.    The only slight query I would want to check is the minimum combustible clearance above,  ie the distance from the top of the stove to the underside of the oak beam.  I am pretty sure this is 600mm,  that tends to be the usual MCC above for most CW models,  just check that with the approved Charnwood dealer local to you that you purchase it from.        Be aware that many people selling CW stoves online are NOT approved dealers for the product,  as such you have very little warranty protection.   Your local approved Charnwood dealer will register your stove serial number with CW prior to sale/install,  this will include your details and usually the details of the installer,   that will then give you a 10 year casing warranty and a 1 year warranty on consumables inside the firebox.

I assume the stove is being flued into a brick class 1 chimney,  if not please advise how it is being flued if you know.

Ask your builder to use RENDER around the inside of the opening,  this can then be painted by you with emulsion paint when dry.  If you use plaster the heat from the stove will crack it.   

The installation will need signing off as safe to use,  the building inspector who signs off the rest of the build can do this or you can get a registered installer in to do the install and sign off.   If going the latter route let them supply the flue parts,  chances are they wont install web supplied flue parts anyway,  just to much crap out there.  Aire needs a 150mm diameter flue.

Most approved dealers will be holding Aire in stock,  I have 2 standard black ones in my showrooms and maybe another in the warehouse,  but may not hold the log store version.   Aire like all Charnwoods is also available in a range of colour options,  these add around 100 quid to the price,  but given the CV19 situation these could take a while to appear.

If it is an outside wall to the rear then we would strongly advise the optional Charnwood direct air kit to bring fresh combustion air from outside directly into the stove,  from memory 40 - 60 quid.  Otherwise a remote vent will need installing through an outside wall elsewhere in the stove room, we would usually use a Stadium Black hole vent in that situation,  this has anti draft baffles inside it. 

Details of Aire are here;  https://www.charnwood.com/files/documents/specifications/aire5.pdf

Your local approved dealer can be found here:   https://www.charnwood.com/where-to-buy/

WWW.CHARNWOOD.COM

Find your nearest Charnwood Official stockist in the UK and Northern Ireland by using our Stockist search to find where to buy your Charnwood Stoves.

Edited by Alycidon
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, daveatdave said:

do not know about the current regs but I would make the hearth slightly deeper and full with of the chimney breast  then you can stand a log basket on it 

it might sound daft but make shore they are putting a flue right up to the roof or are you going with a metal flue on the outside wall

I do know someone that bought new build and asked for a light in the cupboard under the stairs  which they got but there was no switch to turn it off, the builders said you never asked for a switch 

The issue with that is the heat from the stove setting fire to the basket.

How its flued we dont yet know.  I am thinking its probably a 175mm round ( or square) clay lined flue in a brick enclosure but it may not be,  once we know that we can advise further if required although really the local Charnwood dealer should be involved.       The beam above is the main issue,  but as long as the bottom of the inside edge is not directly exposed to the flue pipe then I think that things are probably OK. 

A

Hi,

Thank you for the fantastic answers - really very helpful.

Briefly, until I can post more tomorrow:

- There is no chimney on the property so we will be fitting an external flue up the side of the house

- We think the Aire has 'direct air' which will take air through the inlet on the back of the stove, I think?

- We have been quoted £1,200 for the stove and £2,000 for the fitting work (estimated)

How does this sound?

Thanks again!!

On 01/05/2020 at 23:57, Buel said:

Hi,

Thank you for the fantastic answers - really very helpful.

Briefly, until I can post more tomorrow:

- There is no chimney on the property so we will be fitting an external flue up the side of the house

- We think the Aire has 'direct air' which will take air through the inlet on the back of the stove, I think?

- We have been quoted £1,200 for the stove and £2,000 for the fitting work (estimated)

How does this sound?

Thanks again!!

So the chimney breast in your drawing is a dummy breast,  thats fine.  Suggest you get your local Charnwood dealer to do that though rather than your builder.

Aire is direct air compatible yes,  highly recommend you use the direct air kit.

Price sounds about right for the stove,  all approved Charnwood dealers charge the same,  plus direct air kit.

Price for the install sounds very cheap, unless thats just supply and build dummy chimney breast, supply and install hearth formed from slabs of perhaps limestone,  install flue and direct air kit and certify as safe to use.   ( ie flue parts NOT included.)

Using 150mm Poujoulat flue parts, off the top by 400mm or so,  45 elbow,  through the wall at 45 degrees,  135 T on the outside,  probably 5 to 7 meters of straight pipe,  cap on top, maybe a pair of elbows to go around the soffit/gutter, support brackets,  cover plate for the wall inside, carbon monoxide alarm,   Shiny silver outside, black where visible inside that would not leave much change from 2300 inc VAT,  plus 17% if you want black pipe on the outside, around 85% do. 

There are many budget flue systems out there though,  we only use Poujoulat as they are the worlds best flue manufacturer,  not had a single issue in 12 years.   You get what you pay for,  using the world most advanced stoves it makes sense to me to use the best flue as well.  

A