Heavy Duty Electric Logsplitter

NJA

NJA you asked about the Rock 12T electric splitter, judging by video on Rock website it looks painfully slow, the quality of rock machines are however okay in relation the the cost of the machines which are all made in China. You mention wanting to split 2 -3 ft dia logs, for logs this size in my experience a more powerful vertical splitter is required, with anything over 2ft in dia being difficult to man handle, the Rock 22T ES vertical petrol log splitter would be capable of splitting logs approaching 2ft in dia. Thor machines mentioned by davindales are well made but have only experience of 18T tractor version not electric. On noise it might not be an issue with a petrol engine for occasional use and if neighbours >50m or so away. 

Edited by Vedhoggar

5 hours ago, neiln said:

This thread has made me browse evil-bay.  I've found a used titan pro 7 ton 2200W electric splitter for £150 not that far away.  Hmmm...are they any good?  I rather enjoy splitting everything by fiskars or stihl maul and the ugly bits get noodled up by saw, so not sure I'd use a splitter much.  although there are times I guess that being lazy appeals. would i find it frustratingly slow though? 

I have the titan vertical 7 ton splitter and it is good for me. I work from a wheelchair and the biggest hassle is getting the logs up to the platform but I have some help most weekends. If they are too big I get them split into halves or quarters while my help is here

My theory is that heavy duty is not the same as high tonnage. I have a Posch 6T splitter, it's well built and suited to continuous use. You do need a 16A socket though.

The fundamental issue of splitters is that power = force X speed, if you have a single phase motor you're limited to about 3kW (or 4hp) so going for higher tonnage has to mean lower ram speed. Better is a engine, best is a tractor.

So I think 6T with two stage pump for fast return stroke is the best you can do with small electric. It's not great on really knotty wood although you can break most things down, but on reasonable logs it is relentless. The return stroke on mine is about 30cm/s so it's back up ready for the next log before I am. Overall I'm happy with electric and accept the compromise it represents.

I think you can split one log faster with an axe but after a few hours you have slowed down, the splitter just keeps going whether it's a small log or big old lump. Also I went for vertical splitter with a table so once I've picked the log up to start there is no bending down at all, which I found another huge difference on all day usage vs hand splitting.

A lot of the cheaper machines seem to be really low down so you're bending to use it.

• Like 1

My theory is that heavy duty is not the same as high tonnage. I have a Posch 6T splitter, it's well built and suited to continuous use. You do need a 16A socket though.

The fundamental issue of splitters is that power = force X speed, if you have a single phase motor you're limited to about 3kW (or 4hp) so going for higher tonnage has to mean lower ram speed. Better is a engine, best is a tractor.

So I think 6T with two stage pump for fast return stroke is the best you can do with small electric. It's not great on really knotty wood although you can break most things down, but on reasonable logs it is relentless. The return stroke on mine is about 30cm/s so it's back up ready for the next log before I am. Overall I'm happy with electric and accept the compromise it represents.

I think you can split one log faster with an axe but after a few hours you have slowed down, the splitter just keeps going whether it's a small log or big old lump. Also I went for vertical splitter with a table so once I've picked the log up to start there is no bending down at all, which I found another huge difference on all day usage vs hand splitting.

A lot of the cheaper machines seem to be really low down so you're bending to use it.

Hiya Dan, which model is yours? Had a quick look on their website and theres quite a bit of choice, thinking of possibly getting a splitter for home.

Posch SpaltAxt 6, 230v.

You can split pretty big rings, just need to start at the side and take logs off rather than plunging straight into the centre.

I'm a big fan of the little side racks too, when you split a bigger bit can pop the lumps in there to work through instead of on the floor so that saves a lot of bending.

The other ones I looked at were AMR and Thor, it was a bit of a coin toss in the end.

• Like 2

I would have to agree with everything Dan said. Two things to point out, firstly any machine without some sort of auto return of the ram/splitter is a waste of time and energy. Once I've released the handles on mine, the ram returns to the start point, ready for another split. A customer showed me a tractor mounted one he'd bought, which simply stopped where it was upon release, and we told him we wouldn't entertain such a feature. As a side note, the Sheppach has a narrow, sharp wedge, as opposed to the really wide wedge on his. When we ran them side by side, his split logs faster, because of the more rapid wedge action, but I could split some that he couldn't, even though his machine was rated at a higher force. 

Secondly, we found out very early on that placing a trestle table or similar next to the splitter is a godsend. My helper could load this up with rounds, and have a rest, while I split them. Also, when splitting large diameter ones, in exactly the manner Dan suggests, you can put a split part back on the trestle, while you deal with the piece in your hand. This almost eliminates unnecessary bending. 

• Like 1

I would have to agree with everything Dan said. Two things to point out, firstly any machine without some sort of auto return of the ram/splitter is a waste of time and energy. Once I've released the handles on mine, the ram returns to the start point, ready for another split. A customer showed me a tractor mounted one he'd bought, which simply stopped where it was upon release, and we told him we wouldn't entertain such a feature. As a side note, the Sheppach has a narrow, sharp wedge, as opposed to the really wide wedge on his. When we ran them side by side, his split logs faster, because of the more rapid wedge action, but I could split some that he couldn't, even though his machine was rated at a higher force. 
Secondly, we found out very early on that placing a trestle table or similar next to the splitter is a godsend. My helper could load this up with rounds, and have a rest, while I split them. Also, when splitting large diameter ones, in exactly the manner Dan suggests, you can put a split part back on the trestle, while you deal with the piece in your hand. This almost eliminates unnecessary bending. 
That's exactly what I do with the Thor. Nearby table and someone to put rings on table. My back hates been bent over. Auto return a godsend as well.
  • Like 2

On 02/05/2020 at 16:46, neiln said:

This thread has made me browse evil-bay.  I've found a used titan pro 7 ton 2200W electric splitter for £150 not that far away.  Hmmm...are they any good?  I rather enjoy splitting everything by fiskars or stihl maul and the ugly bits get noodled up by saw, so not sure I'd use a splitter much.  although there are times I guess that being lazy appeals. would i find it frustratingly slow though? 

Best tool i ever bought was fiskars maul, won't be getting rid of that... and so fast!  hmmm time will tell maybe the splitter will get retired to the shed in favour of the fiskars!!  In fairness this is partly for my dad to use so i don't have to split his wood as well!

• Like 1