Heavy Duty Electric Logsplitter

NJA

Any recommendations on logsplitters?  Its for home use, so I wondered if there are any Heavy Duty Electric splitters around, as lower maintenance, noise, running cost than a petrol and will always be used not far from socket.  And a motor should be cheaper than engine making cost of splitter less.  There's hundreds of 4 -5 ton horizontal splitters at B&Q, screwfix, amazon etc but i think they all come out the same chinese factory but with a different branded box?  Need one that splits stuff 2 - 3' dia not just twigs you could easily split with an axe.

Anything more powerful?  I  know Oxdale do a 10ton electric model but found build quality poor when I used to have a tractor mounted splitter from them, and wedge wasn't a good design far too small.  Company called Rock Machinery do one 12ton looks good (pics attached), anyone know if these are any good?  Or other recommendations?

Many thanks

fullsizeoutput_191.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_18d.jpeg

Any recommendations on logsplitters?  Its for home use, so I wondered if there are any Heavy Duty Electric splitters around, as lower maintenance, noise, running cost than a petrol and will always be used not far from socket.  And a motor should be cheaper than engine making cost of splitter less.  There's hundreds of 4 -5 ton horizontal splitters at B&Q, screwfix, amazon etc but i think they all come out the same chinese factory but with a different branded box?  Need one that splits stuff 2 - 3' dia not just twigs you could easily split with an axe.
Anything more powerful?  I  know Oxdale do a 10ton electric model but found build quality poor when I used to have a tractor mounted splitter from them, and wedge wasn't a good design far too small.  Company called Rock Machinery do one 12ton looks good (pics attached), anyone know if these are any good?  Or other recommendations?
Many thanks
fullsizeoutput_191.thumb.jpeg.34c09ce6efbd14aeafab077d278d87b0.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_18d.thumb.jpeg.051abeec06e5ee4a8f323f1fd15b0c86.jpeg
I bought the electric Thor 8.5 ton splitter. Can't fault it.Thor-Alpino-log-splitter-with-side-table-2018.jpeg

If you're going over 7-8 tonnes electric you might need to install a 15 amp outlet. Mine is generic Chinese, vertical "9 tonne" 3kw and came with a 15 amp plug. After discussion with an electrician friend, I run it on the domestic 13 amp supply, with an adapter, on a heavy gauge extension reel. We tested the amp draw at different stages of the ram cycle, and it spikes dangerously when it bottoms out if I don't let off the ram. Which is to say, it's fine as long as the blade is moving, if it comes to a hard stop under load, like a serious knot, the amps Spike and sometimes blow the 13 amp fuse in the plug adapter. His opinion was that it's borderline, but ok to run this way, just have to be mindful. Any more than 3kw and it's definitely a dedicated supply.

A few seasons of domestic splitting, the generic Chinese (€580) is still going fine. It needed modification to make it movable, as the wee wheels it comes with are only useful on concrete.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

If you're going over 7-8 tonnes electric you might need to install a 15 amp outlet. Mine is generic Chinese, vertical "9 tonne" 3kw and came with a 15 amp plug. After discussion with an electrician friend, I run it on the domestic 13 amp supply, with an adapter, on a heavy gauge extension reel. We tested the amp draw at different stages of the ram cycle, and it spikes dangerously when it bottoms out if I don't let off the ram. Which is to say, it's fine as long as the blade is moving, if it comes to a hard stop under load, like a serious knot, the amps Spike and sometimes blow the 13 amp fuse in the plug adapter. His opinion was that it's borderline, but ok to run this way, just have to be mindful. Any more than 3kw and it's definitely a dedicated supply.

A few seasons of domestic splitting, the generic Chinese (€580) is still going fine. It needed modification to make it movable, as the wee wheels it comes with are only useful on concrete.

OK good points.  Electrician is running cable to outside socket will tell him to overspec on it and see if he has any other recommendations.  Sounds like don't want to be going over 3kw though.

I've got a Sheppach HL 710, from memory. Got it from Screwfix, and it has about a 2Kw motor. I see they now sell an uprated model instead, the HL 730 with about a 3Kw motor, and wider table. A quick Google of prices and suppliers shows a wild variation. I'm guessing mine is now discontinued. I'm very happy with mine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daveindales said:

I bought the electric Thor 8.5 ton splitter. Can't fault it.Thor-Alpino-log-splitter-with-side-table-2018.jpeg

This is the same as mine. Broke down for the first time this week after 18yrs. Broke bowden cable off one of the handlebar levers. Had to rob one of one of the kids bicycles because of this lockdown hassle. 

Can't fault it, gone through some stuff in that time. 

This thread has made me browse evil-bay.  I've found a used titan pro 7 ton 2200W electric splitter for £150 not that far away.  Hmmm...are they any good?  I rather enjoy splitting everything by fiskars or stihl maul and the ugly bits get noodled up by saw, so not sure I'd use a splitter much.  although there are times I guess that being lazy appeals. would i find it frustratingly slow though? 

• Like 2