Log storing in garage

Harry Benbow

9 hours ago, Harry Benbow said:

but I'm sure the wood fairies would have them away 

You live in Liverpool?

I stored my logs by the front gate for 30 years before I decided they really needed to be under cover to be dry enough to burn cleanly and never lost any yet I've had quite a few things nicked from the garden or cars over the years.

14 hours ago, spudulike said:

I really wouldn't worry, the logs are drying and the mould is just part of this and once they are dry, the mould will die and then will burn. The only issue will be if your garage is timber framed and the spores or worm then transfer to your house but probably unlikely in my experience.

I'd agree with this, mould will go as they dry out, just open the door when you can.

Likewise, not sure how easy it is to steal an amount of firewood, OK if you are going to nick it for your own use but to steal it and sell it afterwards, £30 for a boot full maybe and you'd be there for say 20 minutes loading up, more to load up a transit. Unlikely to be able to sell them to a bloke in the pub either - have to go online and again, that leaves traces. Far easier just to break the door in and take your TV.

I'd worry about drying them in the garage and the moisture coming off - 1 tonne of logs could have a lot of water in them.

But for the first question, I don't worry about it, just goes in the fire like any other log, and it doesn't spread so much in my log pile. I don't tend to have a lot of wood in the house all at once so it will get burnt fairly quickly once inside

• 9 months later...