Log storing in garage

Harry Benbow

I've been cutting and splitting my own logs. I've been stacking them in my garage as I dont really have anywhere outdoors to keep them without them getting pinched. I've noticed that some are starting to get surface mold on them, what should I do? They're currently stacked 5 layers deep at the back of the garage

15882755767003022457119680924619.jpg

I'm keeping the door open as often as possible and spreading them out along the side walls instead of just the back. As they get dry will the mold just die off? Or would you try and remove the logs that are showing signs? Theyve only been in here a month or two so burning isnt really a option! 

I really wouldn't worry, the logs are drying and the mould is just part of this and once they are dry, the mould will die and then will burn. The only issue will be if your garage is timber framed and the spores or worm then transfer to your house but probably unlikely in my experience.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Harry Benbow said:

I live on a estate with a shared front garden, isn't really doable I'm afraid. I'd leave the logs outside under a tarp or something if I could but I'm sure the wood fairies would have them away 

The other thing you need to look out for Harry is that the logs will give off so much moisture they could cause mould and rust on other things in the garage.  You need to get the door open as much as you can.  

• Like 2