Pine tree take down

Jack.P

Even if top did fall through probably only minor inj

40 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Did you spike up  ( after the top of the ladder ) and strip it as you went ? 

Didn’t use foot spikes but these would have been handy .tied myself in then stripped all branches until topping it out .

i was aware there was was chance it could fall onto me so strapped in on the way down in case it did and left a fair bit of wood so took a fair pull to get it down 

Probably only a minor injury.

It only takes a sharp stub of a branch on that top free falling past you and catching your shoulder to cause a major injury, even 50kg of a top could wipe you out if you're unlucky.

I've done foolish things in the past, I can recall removing branches from a neighbours leylandii one summer holiday when I was about 14 or 15. Done with a Bush man saw and a double extension ladder. Maybe 15 ft off the ground, no more than 6 inch thick. Nothing went wrong and the job got done, however I walked away from it with a much different attitude than I walked up to it. Hopefully the same thing has happened in your case.

• Like 2

You said you were aware of it falling on you?? It sounds like you have pushed your limits on this one. 

Personally id sit back and think is it worth £300 for carrying out such work. 

You would have been better off paying a sub contract climber for the day and learn off them, plus they would have kit to carry out a aerial rescue if needed. 

On another note which the way the NHS is busting themselves left right and centre at the moment you could have been a bit wiser with your decisions at this time. 

Not having a go but as a experienced climber I’ve seen to many have a go hero’s and it will always bite them in the butt. Get some decent kit and qualifications under your belt and learn with someone who is already experienced at what they are doing. It will then make it easier in the future 

• Like 2

Anyway Never going up a tree like that again in strong winds .still got the swaying feeling 

If I didn’t do it though then who knows what sort of shit the bloke might have got himself into .he was going to cut it in one in bit of a tight spot with his Aldi chainsaw and could have easily have potentially fallen the wrong way into the main road causing all sorts of trouble .he seemed to think this would be classed as an act of god though so therefore wouldn’t be liable for anything 

By the sounds of things it would have been a safer job letting the old boy fell it. 

You only have to look on YouTube at the amount of accidents with people on ladders attempting tree work. Ladders for access only then get them away.

get yourself on a certified course and learn from what you have done. Like someone else posted, it was only 45 feet. You can’t go with the “hope” approach on trees of this size or heaven forbid bigger. 

Keep safe and take it steady what ever approach you take 

• Like 1

Scary is a bad sign.

You started asking what you could have done differently, definitely not taller ladders although getting higher so the top is smaller can be an idea.

I don't know what you do most of the time, but if you are not doing a lot of climbing the investment in gear, training and skills is hard to get a payback on so you would basically send all the money you earn to FRJones and the training centre for a while.

It really sounds like you need to get to know a few of the local subby climbers. If you had a couple of these pines in a day for a guy on £150 then you are both happy. Or pay enough to make it worthwhile to stop in after work for a couple of hours.

The job would much quicker and easier for you, you keep most of the £300, and everyone is safe.

Did I mention insurance?

Where are you based?

• Like 1

Anyway Never going up a tree like that again in strong winds .still got the swaying feeling 
If I didn’t do it though then who knows what sort of shit the bloke might have got himself into .he was going to cut it in one in bit of a tight spot with his Aldi chainsaw and could have easily have potentially fallen the wrong way into the main road causing all sorts of trouble .he seemed to think this would be classed as an act of god though so therefore wouldn’t be liable for anything 

He would go to prison if it killed someone or how far it got pushed by emergency services if they had to respond in the wake of clearing up his feck up especially in these times , how thick can some one be? Further to that how fucking selfish too! .
  • Like 1