HELP! I melted my shoes on top of my log burner!

Hi, so I’ve just got a log burner and not realising how hot it gets I put my shoes on top to dry out and yes they melted... I used a brush whilst it was still hot to get most of it off but I’m left with a dark sticky surface and I don’t know how to get rid of it... I read oven cleaner but then I was told not to use it on painted surfaces so I’m not sure please help! 

The only option that might work without heat would be a solvent, which one would work on the plastic your shoes are made from though I'm not sure and stands a fair chance of removing the paint as well.  Maybe just get the fire very hot and hope what is left burns off?  Would smell terrible though...

There are a few suggestions on line if you do a search.  It would seem you are not alone in doing this :) 

It needs heat to soften the plastic if it is still plastic/rubber like and then scrape it off then scotch bright/ wire wool when cool to get rid of the rest.

If the residue is hard and plastic then perhaps a wood chisel to carve it off then wire wool.

All I can say is Darwin is alive and kicking9_9

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Painted stove? so scrapping it off a new stove is maybe not acceptable?

I'd go for the get the stove nice and hot and see what you can scrape off with something non abrasive - perhaps a wooden spatula? Get quite bit off like that... and getting the stove hot will help of course, when you have the windows opens for the smoke to get out. When it's mostly off you can use something like an old cotton T shirt rag to wipe more off. It might take some time, scrape, clean, wipe, let it heat get hotter, repeat. 

Thinking to my cooking, when it's as clean as you can get it like that, let it all cool, wet it and perhaps try a dishwasher tablet - mildly abrasive but shouldn't scrape up the paint like wire wool could and see how that works. Needless to say, do that in as small an area as you can

Get off what you can while the stove is still hot,  ideally use a wooden scraper of some sort or maybe a paint scraper gently.

When its cold get the remains off with fine wire wool,  at the same time tidy up any other paintwork blemishes on the stove.

Mask off the glass with newspaper.

Respray with STOVE PAINT,  do not hand paint as the paint goes of far to thick.    Hold the can about 150mm away from the stove and cover a sweep at about 150/200mm a second.  So a fast sweep leaving a THIN coat.

Hold can upside down and spray to clear paint from the can nozzle.

When dry ( 2 hours if its a fairly warm day,  overnight is better),  re coat,  then possibly a third coat in another 24 hours.   The whole stove should then look like new.  Leave like that till the autumn,  but remove the ash and sweep the chimney.

A

• Like 1