Razceo

So... I'm not a builder so take this with a pinch of salt of course.

A builder will take out some of the horizontal cement from the bricks a course above the bricks to be removed, slide through metal plates and support them. Take out the bricks, put a new lintle in, let the cement set and then repair the holes they first made.. I think.

You could just wng it and hope for the best, take the bricks out, put a new lintle in quick, but I do't think this is a sensble idea because.....

Looking at the brickwork you have exposed, there are parrallel verticle edges, 1 brick out fro the edge of the fire place... the ones you are wanting to remove. Then you have the lintle that you want to remove and then above this is looks like the vertical edge continues upwards and under the plaster. chances are you will be replastering this wall anyway.. so why not take more plaster off going upwards and see if there is another lintle further up? Can you look from the inside to see if this is the case, even if your head wont fit, hold a camera up and take a photo. If there is, just take al the bricks out to that point, put the new one in where you want it and rebuild the wall.

Becuse of these vertical breaks that's why option 1 won't work.

But I am not a buildier

Hi, thanks for your reply, I'll remove tomorrow more of the plaster to see if there is a lintel, I can't see from inside because is a metal plate where the liner goes, if there's no lintel I'll try the option with metal plates between the bricks. thank you! 

I've done the exercise that you're talking about twice before, enlarging a fireplace to fit a wood burner. The first time I found an original brick arch higher up the chimney breast hidden behind the plaster, so no need for a lintel. The second time there was no arch so I fitted a lintel myself. I inserted the Strongboys and very carefully, with much trepidation, removed the necessary bricks. Brick work is actually stronger and more robust than it looks I think, unless the hole is really big or loose then it's normally self-supporting.

WWW.STOVEFITTERSWAREHOUSE.CO.UK

The definitive guide to choosing and installing (self install or via a Hetas professional) a wood burning or multifuel stove and suitable chimney. Topics include Defra and SIA Ecodesign stoves, chimney lining, twin wall flue, fireplace breakouts, building a hearth, all of the rules and regulations - and much more.