Career change

Nathj88

Will look them books up and get them ordered for a bit of reading, I do have a family member who has a bit of land with a couple hundred trees on so would have a bit to practice with but think it would depend on how confident of not having a accident especially at this moment in time as you say.

I love being in the out doors and think it is potentially a job I could get a lot of satisfaction and enjoyment from if enjoyment can come from work that is. I would be interested in getting into climbing once gained enough knowledge and experience. I've helped my family member out a few times when they've had trees removed and cut back dragging brash and using chipper along with logging, been tempted to see if I could try and do some Saturdays with him for a bit more experience but don't think the timing again would be great for that so may leave that for later on down the line. If you don't mind me asking what do you currently do now within forestry?

From what I gather regarding pay of things I've seen some climbers earn a similar wage to what can get as a day rate now, seen a fair few advertisements for less though, also understand would be taking a cut in wages at some point to try and make transition, was guessing it depends on the individual and skill set etc to pay. I've had some very good years financially scaffolding but feel like need a new challenge and trying to find more enjoyment within my everyday job, its not that I hate what I'm doing just think that maybe there is more out there if that makes any sense.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nathj88 said:

Would you say coming into it at 32 is a bit late on?

4 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

Learning without putting all your eggs in one basket could be worth a go.

I started when I was 41, having been office based for my real job, but fit from living on a smallholding. I am now 60 and still climbing regularly. Your age is no problem. Definitely a good option if you can start learning the tree trade/ doing some work in it, while still having a job in another camp. I was lucky enough to be able to do this, and it was a lot easier for me, I am sure, than for guys who have to jump ship 100% to make the change. Where in the West Midlands are you - I am in North Staffs. Best of luck.

Ye would be good to be able to try and learn a bit before jumping feet first, I live just outside of cannock so not very far from yourself, I'm liking the positivity of people who have made the move at similar age, its not easy to change route as you get older

• Like 1

I made the move into Arb ten years ago in my late twenties, age shouldn't be an issue for you if you are used to scaffolding. This was at the end of the financial crash and many said don't do it. If you wait until the 'best time' to do something then you may never do anything. When all of this is over there will be work out there for hard working, self motivated people. I'm not saying it will be easy and fall into your lap and the experienced guys will be inline before you but there is always space for somebody with a lack of experience but a good work ethic. I appreciate this depends on regions and varies massively depending on where you are in the country, can't comment on your area as I'm from the South East where things were very buoyant pre Covid. 

In terms of courses having Cs30, Cs31 and woodchopper would be of benefit but experience is often favoured so trying to get experience first would be better than having every ticket under the sun. You could look at the Level 2 in Arb but IMO this would be best undertaken with some work knownledge and experience under your belt. Speak to local firms and put yourself out there. When I started out a guy on here gave me a few days at the weekend and it started from there. I've carried out work for a guy who teaches at a scaffolding centre and has been in scaffolding for twenty odd years and the wages he was talking about seem to be higher than Arb, but if you were getting into Arb just for the money another industry maybe a better fit! Good luck with it and if it isn't for you at least you can say you tried and could always go back to scaffolding?

• Like 1