"Cooling off period"

DanBous

On 28/04/2020 at 12:13, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

What does it say in your terms and conditions (Ts & Cs) and did you supply a copy to them or reference them on the quote saying available on request or on website etc. 

The "14 cooling off period", I believe, whilst has become accepted as general practice is actually only applicable / enforceable where a contract is agreed on the customers premises..."sign along the dotted line please Mrs Miggins." (This is my understanding only.)

Regards,

Paul

My Ts and Cs are attached to every quote I send out...but until this situation arose, I didn't have anything about cancellation on them. Kind of took it on the chin when someone once in a blue moon cancelled, but last time it happened I just thought why should I be messed around like this?! (Im not talking about someones loved one passing away and them wanting to cancel an upcoming job for example, its the idiots that get someone cheaper or someone that can do it sooner behind your back)

So not looking to remedy this particular situation, but looking forward I am basically wondering if I can put a clause in my Ts and Cs saying cancellation by the client after agreement in writing of the works, will result in a percentage fee or similar....but that's why I am asking about cooling off period, because I don't want to look like a twit and charge a cancelled client a fee, when actually they were in there rights to cancel with a legal cooling off period.

I occasionally have people cancel, I don't have anything in t&cs about it. I don't have time to try taking people to small claims etc, that time could be better spent working for people who are happy to get you in. Just my take on it. I might grumble a bit at the time but usually so busy I don't have time to worry about it.

• Like 1

Consumers' right to cancel detail is fairly well set out here:

WWW.CITIZENSADVICE.ORG.UK

When you can cancel a service, how to get your money back, how to negotiate with the business.

Your obligations (if quote provided at the customers premise) is set out here:

WWW.GOV.UK

Doorstep selling, regulations, written notice of the right to cancel, exemptions, penalties

Somewhere in the middle of the 2 is the quote sent by email / mail after leaving the potential customers premise.

Have you incurred any loss?  Equipment hire or staff costs?  If yes, and all your paperwork is in order and it is outwith the cancellation period which you provided to the customer and if it's worth the bother....

On one occasion, I spent several hours on site visits, 3 journeys because I wanted to speak to the son of the elderly lady as well as the elderly lady, arranged additional staff and MEWP for 1 particular job.  Got it all agreed and signed off, 1 week before start date they cancelled and got their nephew to do it weekends and evenings (he worked for a utility arb firm.)  

That's OK I thought, I'll take it on the chin, apologise to the climbers and cancel the MEWP.

The son of the elderly lady had his furniture re-upholstery shop at the address.  He was very proud of his product and I spent a bit of time in there chatting because it was interesting.

I wonder if he ever figured out who it was that phoned him from a big flash country house 160 round trip miles away asking if he'd come and take on a long term, large scale re-upholstery task.

It was a cracking wedding I was at, might have had a few beers and got on the phone....  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1