Removing splinters/thorns

Steve Bullman

• 2 weeks later...

I was in A&E a month back after getting a rose thorn stuck in my thumb and got infected. I eventually got the thorn out a few days after it happened using Magnesium Sulphate drawing ointment paste. That stuff if amazing! I only found out about it days later of the thorn getting stuck. It was embedded so deep and was so painful that sharp tools were not effective. If I had this paste in my first aid box from the start I reckon I would of been OK. The thorn was stuck in my thumb for 4 days until I eventually got it out with this paste, but it was to late by then. I had red streaking going up my arm and at that point I needed to get myself to hospital asap. I needed 3 treatments of IV and 5 days of oral antibiotics to clear the infection.

5454.jpg

545454.jpg

• Confused 1

I was in A&E a month back after getting a rose thorn stuck in my thumb and got infected. I eventually got the thorn out a few days after it happened using Magnesium Sulphate drawing ointment paste. That stuff if amazing! I only found out about it days later of the thorn getting stuck. It was embedded so deep and was so painful that sharp tools were not effective. If I had this paste in my first aid box from the start I reckon I would of been OK. The thorn was stuck in my thumb for 4 days until I eventually got it out with this paste, but it was to late by then. I had red streaking going up my arm and at that point I needed to get myself to hospital asap. I needed 3 treatments of IV and 5 days of oral antibiotics to clear the infection.

5454.thumb.jpg.75a7154f1761ce4527ea5b18fd72eb0f.jpg
545454.thumb.jpg.88a301835e2f2c70074f7a825f9fc63a.jpg

Magnesium sulphate has always worked for me..

How does it work, how do you use it? I tried it once, after hearing about how good it was, but it didn't seem to do anything at all.

How does it work, how do you use it? I tried it once, after hearing about how good it was, but it didn't seem to do anything at all.

I find it best if you mix the paste up, spread over the area where the splinter is and then put a plaster on and leave it, sometimes it may only take a few hours and sometimes it may take longer. Just keep changing the dressing and putting more on.

I find it best if you mix the paste up, spread over the area where the splinter is and then put a plaster on and leave it, sometimes it may only take a few hours and sometimes it may take longer. Just keep changing the dressing and putting more on.
Ok, thanks. I'll try it again and persevere with the next one. I'm intrigued by the mechanism of how it works.

10 hours ago, sime42 said:
14 hours ago, Hodge said:

Read more  

Ok, thanks. I'll try it again and persevere with the next one. I'm intrigued by the mechanism of how it works.

I just spread some over the wound, put a bandage over it and two hours later the thorn came to the surface. It was rapid. You can actually feel the thorn moving as the paste works. Its magic stuff. It's far less painful than shoving sharp objects into your skin.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sime42 said:
14 hours ago, Hodge said:

I think it might be something to do with osmosis. Fluid moves towards the stronger concentration of the paste, taking the thorn with it as it moves.

• Like 1