Helmet comms

billpierce

27 minutes ago, billpierce said:
1 hour ago, Darrin Turnbull said:
About 6 months. The intercom  unit is tucked underneath my helmet a bit , can’t comment on its water proofing abilities.
But the microphone sponge was soaking for two hours in heavy rain and nothing happened.

Read more  

And do these require a phone or do they work independantly?

No mobile needed.

• Like 1

Another vote here for the Freedconn VB’s (800m range)

I got a pair in December for me and my groundie. We worked in some really crappy weather and they’ve really impressed me.

In fact I can’t imagine what else you’d get for a greater price !?

I’m not sure how easy they work with 3 of you though and the battery only lasts a day, but for £65 a pair I’d thoroughly recommend trying them .

And when you’re working on your own you can link it to BBC Sounds on your ‘phone and listen to Radio 4s Woman’s Hour and shout profanities whilst you work and look nuts because no one realises you’ve got Comms !!

• Like 1

Go for sena bill if you spend a bit of time wiring in carefully and using tape to stick all the wires to inside of helmet they great I've had them for years on all different helmets and not had any issues I cant stress enough how much of nice working environment it is with coms it's nice to just be able to talk to ur grounds man not shout or use hand signals or wait till they look up !get some u wont regret it

• Like 1

Another thumbs up for the Sena comes from me. Gray Git introduced me too them, and I have a cradle set on my peltor ear defenders and one in my Husky helmet. I just chop and change the actual unit between the two depending on what I’m doing (ear defenders for machine work, helmet for cutting)

ive never had any problems with snagging wires etc whilst doing thinning work, but can’t comment in what they are like whilst you’re climbing as I don’t do any. As Matty said dropping the unit is annoying, but the blue flashy light can help locate them!

The cheapest place to get them from is a website called Sportsbikeshop.co.uk.

For me these were an absolute game changer. Makes working unmeasurably safer, and rigging etc so much easier. Plus you can also talk whilst chipper and saws are flying. Plus the climber can give his order for brews easier. Plus you can all perv on nice ladies together. Winner! 

Do you not find it annoying that there constantly live and pic up every chainsaw running ? I tried some motorcycle ones and yes there good but the constant din was a pain, push to talk is better imo. Would like a Bluetooth set but it would have to be ptt and there doesn’t seem to be anything around .

• Like 1