Multi fuel or Wood?

Hi all,

We are closing in on getting our stove for our new build and it's likely to be a Charnwood Aire. However, my wife asked me if I'm sure that we want a wood burner as opposed to a multi fuel...and I'm not exactly sure...any advice, please?

Thank you in advance,

B

If you wana burn through the night in to the following morning to then continue fuelling the fire again then your only hope is using coal/briquettes, so your in to a multifuel stove. If you just want a snug warm evening in and some aesthetics of a night then woodburning would be fine. ?‍♂️

Wood burner it is, then [emoji6]

I’m not in a new build but did knock the hell out of my house (1970 build bungalow) and insulated it to the hilt using superquilt on underside of roof etc, fully reroofed and replastered throughout, fresh 7”x2” timbers forming upstairs flooring etc, all fibre/wool filled/insulated in floors and studdings, so very thermal efficient for its build style/type, trying to mimic new regs etc.
Got a 5kw burner installed (woodburner) but also have alternative grate to accommodate multi-fuel burning. Its enough for me, just light it on a night when its cold...... just for that cosy/homely feeling more than owt [emoji106]

6 hours ago, Buel said:

Wood burner it is, then ?

With my wood only burner if I lift some of the ash out in the morning there are embers there . Put some smaller bits on and open up the air an d away it goes again .

Not sure if still the case? There was less VAT on a woodburner, possibly 5%?

So might be cheaper to buy the wood version of a stove, then the multifuel kit in a different transaction.

Irrelevant if it's a new build though - something has gone wrong if you were planning on burning smokeless fuel in a new build!

Most solid fuels will be made illegal in 2022 as they burn to dirtily.  You will still be able to buy Anthracite which is natural smokeless coal.

Charnwood have done a lot of work on emissions and efficiency over the last few years,  Aire is one of my best sellers quite rightly,  it is a dedicated wood burner yes with no facilty to put air under the fire that solid fuels require, it is over 80 percent efficient and exceeds the 2022 emissions requirements by 40%.       With the advent of warm winters and central heating burning through the night is now not usually needed.    If you want to opt for a multifuel then the Charnwood Skye is the most advanced stove of its type in the world right now.  I have one on live display in one of my showrooms thus when open we use it every day,  but it is significantly dearer than Aire.

Final word of advice,   Charnwood will be raising their prices 1st July I suspect,  use your local Charnwood dealer, to find him look on the Charnwood web site or pm me with your post code.

A

On 27/04/2020 at 18:57, scbk said:

Not sure if still the case? There was less VAT on a woodburner, possibly 5%?

So might be cheaper to buy the wood version of a stove, then the multifuel kit in a different transaction.

Irrelevant if it's a new build though - something has gone wrong if you were planning on burning smokeless fuel in a new build!

Thats not correct.   The only way 5% VAT can be applied on a stove is that if its a woodburning boiler stove and has been supplied and installed by the same company.     Generally though wood burning versions are cheaper than multifuel versions of the same stove as usually.  

• Like 1