Timberwolf wood chipper 150 or 230

Paul Tomo

It’s amazing what those old 150s are still fetching.

If they were a couple of grand, fair enough.

Thought of lease/buying a new one?

I think the prices are just high so they can get a 230.

Older 150’s before the pre 750kg models with the metal hydraulic and fuel tank if the chassis isn’t completely rotten are ok machines , swap the solid bottom feed roller out for a newer replaceable blade version and change the push for paddle buttons.

230 is a different class of machine although I would worry a little about why they weigh so little.

4 minutes ago, MattyF said:

I think the prices are just high so they can get a 230.

Older 150’s before the pre 750kg models with the metal hydraulic and fuel tank if the chassis isn’t completely rotten are ok machines , swap the solid bottom feed roller out for a newer replaceable blade version and change the push for paddle buttons.

230 is a different class of machine although I would worry a little about why they weigh so little.

I don’t get what you mean, “prices are high so they can get a 230”

• 1 month later...

Ok The 230 is the machine I’ll be buying then. All I need to do now is find a decent second hand Timberwolf TW230 with low hours. I’ve put in the Arbtrader a wanted add last week and a one machine looks promising but if anyone is looking at selling one or you know anyone selling one then please let me know.

I would to thank you all for the input you have made regarding this thread.

Thanks Paul Tomo 

• Thanks 1

It will work out fine for you with either decision. I have a 150(roadtow) and a 230(tracked), i have used the 230 roadtow plenty.

If your starting out the 150 will get every thing done that you need it to do, just not as quickly on the bigger stuff. I know they are both 750kg but the balance on the 150 makes it much easier to push around some ones driveway.

For starting with you may not want to commit to 3-5 years of finance, if you can buy a 150 outright its going to make it easier for you to buy/finance some thing else in a year or two's time. Its not going to loose as much value as well, if you did want to upgrade down the line.

32 minutes ago, Ian88 said:

It will work out fine for you with either decision. I have a 150(roadtow) and a 230(tracked), i have used the 230 roadtow plenty.

If your starting out the 150 will get every thing done that you need it to do, just not as quickly on the bigger stuff. I know they are both 750kg but the balance on the 150 makes it much easier to push around some ones driveway.

For starting with you may not want to commit to 3-5 years of finance, if you can buy a 150 outright its going to make it easier for you to buy/finance some thing else in a year or two's time. Its not going to loose as much value as well, if you did want to upgrade down the line.

Thanks Ian, 

I can see that the 150 would be with me a lot quicker than the 230 would be. I used the 230 on my chipper course and it is a beast of a machine. The Instrutor who I had on the course said the 150 would be an ideal machine and it would work well for the work that I’m doing, plus it’s a lot cheaper than the 230.

Maybe at the moment the 150 would be the more logical machine to go for has I’m still building my business up. The wife is putting some money in to help me out and her advice to me is start with the 150 and then buy a 230 when you’ve built up the business.

I have seen a 230 but I’ll be taking too much from the wife to buy it and one side of me is saying buy it but the other side says save up more cash or buy a 150. 

thanks Paul Tomo