Laptop suggestions?

william127

I need a new laptop (unfortunately not a desktop as my 'office' is a lean to and I dont trust it not to be damp?) and I'm looking for recommendations.

This is definitely not my area, so ideally I'm after exact model recommendations?

I need: 

Something simple, I mainly do very simple word documents, emails, online forms, transferring photos to memory sticks.

The most important things are that it will 'fire up' quickly,  without wanting to upgrade every blooming time, and be able to cope with being used without being connected to Wifi all the time!

Oh and last more than 9 months?? 

I appreciate this is the opposite of what I said about simplicity,  but is anyone successfully using a tablet/keyboard combination for doing their documents? As I do find tablets a lot more user friendly,  but would need it to be able to do the job, not be a toy!

Or a combination of the 2??

Budget 4- 500 for a laptop, bit more for a nice tablet or a combination...

49 minutes ago, william127 said:

I need a new laptop (unfortunately not a desktop as my 'office' is a lean to and I dont trust it not to be damp?) and I'm looking for recommendations.

This is definitely not my area, so ideally I'm after exact model recommendations?

I need: 

Something simple, I mainly do very simple word documents, emails, online forms, transferring photos to memory sticks.

The most important things are that it will 'fire up' quickly,  without wanting to upgrade every blooming time, and be able to cope with being used without being connected to Wifi all the time!

Oh and last more than 9 months?? 

I appreciate this is the opposite of what I said about simplicity,  but is anyone successfully using a tablet/keyboard combination for doing their documents? As I do find tablets a lot more user friendly,  but would need it to be able to do the job, not be a toy!

Or a combination of the 2??

Budget 4- 500 for a laptop, bit more for a nice tablet or a combination...

This will do you perfectly and the best on the market are HP ones for laptops 

HP 17.3in AMD A6 4GB 1TB Laptop

• Like 1

If you want something that can convert into a tablet as well as having a normal keyboard have a look at some of the newer chrome books which flip. They run on chrome os so no windows. I have an Asus 101 flip which has a 10.1 screen converts into a tablet and runs Android apps as well. Really impressed with how simple and hassle free it is. Bit of a learning curve as few bits work differently. Battery life is great and haven't found anything I couldn't do with it compared to a laptop. Haven't used one to transfer or process photos though. Storage is usually small as mainly designed to work online but work equally well offline. Worth looking at.

Moneys not a deal breaker, its spending it right that's important, so suggestions are all appreciated! 

If spending say 800 quid gets me something that will just work for 5 years, like a makita drill or a stihl blower ?, I could be persuaded ??

• Like 1

Fast boot up times means SSD (solid state hard disk) and is the way to go, I upgraded mine and OMG, as fast as I can sit down, put my password in and go on the internet, the thing is already there. Quad core CPU is good although not sure what the latest incarnation is. I have been using an old Fujitsu 7-8 yrs and it has lasted well albeit upgraded memory and SSD, Lenovos are also good.

If you are just surfing and doing a bit of paperwork then you don't need a real high spec - Games are the big user of power and if you are not a big gamer then you don't really need a high end lappy.

I would look for the best CPU, memory can always be updated at a later date if necessary.

If you do a lot of office work and like the Microsoft experience then go that route, there are other machines running Android and the like available.

Try to match the machine to your needs rather than spending ££££££ on things you will never use.

• Like 3