The Effects of Covid19

Mjk86

Clearly the government help is working for businesses with PAYE staff. It was in the news the other day gov had just 'employed' over a million people through the furlough scheme, so their employers didnt have to lay them off.

However, crowdfunding does offer a chance of hitting the jackpot, I wish i could write a page so 50 million people give me a penny each. Tell them Im developing a cheap battery tool for car owners to change their own cam belts

• Like 1

I've got a better idea. Why don't we appoint an umbrella organization (we could call it 'Government') to collect a bit of money from everyone in the country in the good times so that when stuff like this happens they can pay a percentage (maybe 80%) of the wages to see people through? I know, we cou;d call it 'furlough'!

I’ve got an even better one. Stop taxing people like battery hens and they’ll see themselves through. People on average have half their wealth taken in tax (a simplistic appraisal but run with it). If someone had worked for twenty years without being taxed, they could ride out a storm for another twenty years on the saved tax money alone. As it is at the moment, the government’s got about ten minutes of money in reserve because it spent the “bit of money” its collected over the years on bollocks.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AHPP said:

I’ve got an even better one. Stop taxing people like battery hens and they’ll see themselves through. People on average have half their wealth taken in tax (a simplistic appraisal but run with it). If someone had worked for twenty years without being taxed, they could ride out a storm for another twenty years on the saved tax money alone. As it is at the moment, the government’s got about ten minutes of money in reserve because it spent the “bit of money” its collected over the years on bollocks.

All well think theory, but we can be pretty sure most wouldn’t have saved the tax money. And other prices such as property would be even more sky high. 

• Like 2

All well think theory, but we can be pretty sure most wouldn’t have saved the tax money. And other prices such as property would be even more sky high. 

They well may. Their lookout. Why would stuff be more expensive?

5 hours ago, AHPP said:

No tax = no road maintenance, no schools, no universities, no NHS, no rail infrastructure, no pensions or unemployment benefits. Would also lead to mass unemployment. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, patrickgalloway3 said:

No tax = no road maintenance, no schools, no universities, no NHS, no rail infrastructure, no pensions or unemployment benefits. Would also lead to mass unemployment. 

Actually not true.  This country built a huge railway network and an extensive health service without tax.  Both were nationalised in the forties. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doobin said:

Because if people have more income, they will offer more to get their dream home or whatever.

1 hour ago, doobin said:

Because if people have more income, they will offer more to get their dream home or whatever.

The theory of a low tax society is not actually that people will have more money, because they will be spending that money on the things the government would have provided.

What it should do is give people more choice.  For instance rather than everyone pay loads of tax and then send their kids to the local state school, pay less tax and then choose which private school to send their kids to.

We have all got so used to paying loads of tax and assuming that the state provides everything we forget that their may be other ways of providing vital services.  We don't buy our food from the government after all....!

• Like 1

What Squaredy said and also, in my glorious vision of peaceful anarchy, the absence of government building restrictions will increase housing supply, lowering cost for a given demand.

13 hours ago, AHPP said:

Just don't break a limb and find the insurance isn't good enough, have a child with learning diffculties and your spouse gets ill and loses their job.

I travelled to a place where this was the case and was glad to be able to choose to leave early and move on somewhere else. It was not a place I wished to be in anymore and could afford to leave. I would not like to live there it was the best demonstration of "why tax is the worst form of payment except for all the rest"

• Like 1