petrol or battery hedge trimmer?

difflock

Battery is far better imo, but the initial cost might be hard to justify for home use?

Do you use any other 2 stroke machines that you might be looking to replace ie small chainsaw, strimmer, mower, blower, pole saw etc

This is great with a backpack battery but that would blow a grand! :

WWW.FRJONESANDSON.CO.UK

Powerful yet lightweight and well-balanced battery-powered hedge trimmer for commercial use with 70cm double-sided...

• Like 1

For petrol ones The Stihl hs45’s are good value for what they are .Stihl hs82  rc is good machine aswell a bit more powerful but I found them a bit too heavy for big hedge jobs so it didn’t get used as much as i’d hoped 

I’d recommend the Stihl cordless hsa 86 with a ap300 battery which has plenty of power  have had one now for a few years and taken a fair beating .if your after a long reach hl95 best machine

• Like 1

We use the Stihl long reach battery one, it’s spot on, when the short one needs changing next it will be battery to match. They don’t quite keep up with petrol on thick stuff but on trimming you won’t beat it - no fumes, lower vibes, no ears needed, less weight which makes a huge difference on the top of wide hedges I could go on! 
I don’t believe in the environmental side of battery equipment as we are just moving the problem to the lithium mines in poorer countries and to the power stations but as a tool just wow what a difference in personal enjoyment and safety from lack of fumes and vibrations 

• Like 1

Makita DUH751 - it’s the dog’s bollox and runs off their 18v batteries (along with just about any power tool you can think of!). Much nicer to use than a petrol equivalent - no fumes, nice and light, quiet etc. And much better value than the Stihl/Husky etc equivalents if you also run (or choose to in the future) any other Makita kit - way way more choice. 
https://www.fastfix.co.uk/makita-duh751-18v-brushless-hedge-trimmer.html

• Like 1

Guest Gimlet

I had a go with a client's little Makita UH480 trimmer today. Only a 14.4V. I wouldn't use it commercially but if that's what their domestic cordless trimmers are like I'd definitely try one of the big ones.

Cut superbly, weighed nothing and handled surprisingly big stems. 

Makita DUH751 - it’s the dog’s bollox and runs off their 18v batteries (along with just about any power tool you can think of!). Much nicer to use than a petrol equivalent - no fumes, nice and light, quiet etc. And much better value than the Stihl/Husky etc equivalents if you also run (or choose to in the future) any other Makita kit - way way more choice. 

Cracking bit of kit[emoji106]

40 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Probably thissun above.

Thank you MB, and others.

• Like 1