Extended social distancing

Rough Hewn

End of life protocols and palliative care have their place if applied humanely and with compassion. What is dangerous is to go down the route of 'well they've had their time' or 'they're a burden on society'. This pandemic has cost the lives of not just the elderly and vulnerable but also those of highly trained and experienced consultants, doctors and nurses amongst others who we can ill afford to lose.

Where would it end if we wrote off the elderly and chronically sick or disabled? My knowledge of history reminds me that the last leader to go down that route was called Adolf Hitler and by Christ that ended badly didn't it? 60 million dead if I recall in WW2.

Personally I would sooner my standard of living dropped and my 'freedom' was restricted and we saved lives rather than writing the less fortunate off. 

I'm just thankful to live in a society like ours rather than that of some third world countries or those with masses of disadvantaged citizens such as India say.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Woodworks said:

You serious? That will lead to hundreds of thousand s of our most vulnerable dying prematurely plus plenty of the rest of us.

I buy into this old saying "How a society treats its most vulnerable is always the measure of its humanity." Time for us to show our humanity IMO

How can the vulnerable catch it if they are properly self isolating and those far less likely to die from it allowed to get back to some kind of normality? We're seeing reports now that those over 60 might have to self isolate for 12 months at least. I'm willing to take the chance with my health. The chance of a healthy child dying because of this virus is minuscule. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

How can the vulnerable catch it if they are properly self isolating and those far less likely to die from it allowed to get back to some kind of normality? We're seeing reports now that those over 60 might have to self isolate for 12 months at least. I'm willing to take the chance with my health. The chance of a healthy child dying because of this virus is minuscule. 

Because they are cared for by the less vulnerable who will be far more likely to be infected if we go back to "business as usual"  Seems there a plenty of asymptomatic carriers out there. 

• Like 1

Just now, Woodworks said:

Because they are cared for by the less vulnerable who will be far more likely to be infected if we go back to "business as usual"  Seems there a plenty of asymptomatic carriers out there. 

Who is  caring for the over 60 year olds who should be properly isolating themselves? 

4 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Therein lies the rub, and I cannot understand why the UK has not pushed forward with wholesale testing, or perhaps representative testing across/within communities, to establish if the communities are clean or recovered.

That way we might actually better know the scale of the problem.

m

4 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Who is  caring for the over 60 year olds who should be properly isolating themselves? 

Me my neighbour and countless others in our nation. We do our best not to be carriers but they struggle containing this virus  in hospitals with all their skills and equipment so jo public will be far from 100% successful of keeping the vulnerable safe.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Me my neighbour and countless others in our nation. We do our best not to be carriers but they struggle containing this virus  in hospitals with all their skills and equipment so jo public will be far from 100% successful of keeping the vulnerable safe.

But I'll assume that this assistance you're providing is done so following the correct procedures regarding social distancing, right? 

35 minutes ago, difflock said:

Therein lies the rub, and I cannot understand why the UK has not pushed forward with wholesale testing, or perhaps representative testing across/within communities, to establish if the communities are clean or recovered.

That way we might actually better know the scale of the problem.

m

It's coming...   We're just late to the party.

Edited by nepia

They have  being talking about ramping up and rolling out testing for the last month.Unsure why its such a big delay in the tests, as the excuses made seems to change everyday.

Meanwhile Germans have being mass testing for weeks and alot less deaths. Even the italians have managed to do alot of testing, seems UK is just more inept gernerally that other places.

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1

We started from scratch a month ago.  Not only the substance side of testing needed to be set up but all the logistics to go with it; places to do it, deciding who got it first, telling those people where to go when, how they were to prove their identity... all to be made possible via software programmes that didn't exist.

As I said we were late to the party but there is much work going into getting widespread testing up and running efficiently.

• Like 1