Weed wipers

monkeybusiness

A vote for the logic 2000 here also, I was weed wiping docks yesterday. It can be cost effective and easy to rig up and handle rough(ISH) terrain, also there is no fear of drift etc so you can still work when its windy. What i would say is timing is pretty important, if the species growth stage is too far ahead it doesn't work as well, also you run the chemical at a much more concentrated amount so if there is a fair covering of weeds you plough through the chemical cost so I tend to spray in the heavy growth areas.... 

Hello all
I’ve got to treat a large area of birch regen on a wet heath and reckon an ATV trailed weed-wiper would be well suited to the task. 
Does anyone have any hints/tips/advice with these regarding makes/types etc? There are ground driven brushes, electric powered contra-rotating brushes, seemingly cobbled-together mounted frames wrapped in absorbent material (which would in reality probably be the best setup for my job but I’m not convinced about how good these actually are). All of them appear pretty expensive for what they are and I don’t really want to chuck a load of money at a setup that doesn’t do as I hope (I’m happy to spend on the right kit though!). 
In an ideal world I’d hire something to try but not really aware of anywhere offering these for hire. I’ve got ATV-mounted sprayer tanks etc so they aren’t essential. 
Cheers for any and all input - I’m certainly open to anyone who wishes to point out issues with what I’m suggesting too!
Dan 

Is using weed killer of any sort on boggy ground a good idea, let alone in a Conservation Area? Just thinking back to having to do an around watercourses spraying module in order to keep SEPA happier about me spraying emerging Giant Hogweed alongside a river I managed.