saw log prices

Richard Ayling

Hi Fellas

I'm a cabinet maker but I often get offered logs to saw. For a while now I've been thinking about setting myself up with a mill for the hell of it, but reckon the minute I take the plunge the source of free wood will dry up. Out of interest if I were to buy hardwood saw logs from tree surgeons that were road side so I could pick up, what sort of money per cubic foot would I be looking at, to pay for it. lookin at butts 24" - 48" diameter. Hope its not a dull question and thanks for any help in this.

Hi Fellas
I'm a cabinet maker but I often get offered logs to saw. For a while now I've been thinking about setting myself up with a mill for the hell of it, but reckon the minute I take the plunge the source of free wood will dry up. Out of interest if I were to buy hardwood saw logs from tree surgeons that were road side so I could pick up, what sort of money per cubic foot would I be looking at, to pay for it. lookin at butts 24" - 48" diameter. Hope its not a dull question and thanks for any help in this.

You'll buy garden trees from tree surgeons for firewood prices.
Because the trunks are full of nails.
You will pay more for proper forest grown, but shouldn't get any metal.
How much do you enjoy sharpening chains?
[emoji106]
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Richard Ayling said:

Thanks for that. Out of interest how much per ton is a ball park figure for Ash, Oak, Beech, Cherry. I'm based near Swansea. Had a look at your website, nice set up you have there.

Thanks.

Not sure what current prices are but I paid £90/ton for Ash last year,

just offered a local estate £70/ton (not big diameter) for Oak and had that turned down, say they get better return putting it through the biomass!

Don't get much Cherry, Beech I try to keep clear of, having said that I've noticed the local golf coarse I buy from are building up a nice stack of Beech trunks for me!

Hi only problem with trees out of someones garden is as Roughhewn says metal content, it spoils the look of the timber and dulls chains/bands, forest grown you will not get any metal and it will be nicer timber,

Ash logs £70-90 tonne

Oak logs £90-140 tonne

Beech logs £ 75-100 tonne 

the above all vary as to the quality of the logs as some are much better quality than others, admiralty Oaks which where trees planted many years ago for ship building bring silly money but where do you find a 40ft Oak log that is straight clean and defect free in this day and age, there are not many left in the Uk today,

• Like 2