Cedar wood

David Cropper

40 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Cedar quite oily wood,  so don't be suprised if it goes like a rocket n watch yr flue if its a bit tarred an claggy. K

That's why I asked Khriss, I wasn't too sure, knew it was oily, but because it's so dry, thought it best to ask advice. Chimneys in good order.

1 hour ago, David Cropper said:

That's why I asked Khriss, I wasn't too sure, knew it was oily, but because it's so dry, thought it best to ask advice. Chimneys in good order.

Why its used fr beehives, light, oily, strong. But firewood..... take care ! K

• Thanks 1

It sounds good to burn,  split in April, stored in an airy space, should be good to burn by Sept except very dense woods like Oak and Eucalyptus.   I was surprised about the latter but big lumps I split April 19 are still not ready although the smaller lumps are.

Aim for 16% max on hardwood,  softwood will burn acceptably well up to about 20%.   

• Like 1

On 16/04/2020 at 17:08, Mick Dempsey said:

I burn it a fair bit, as I get a lot of TDs of dead and dying deodars, seems to burn fast and quite hot.

I note that you say Deodars, which I find interesting. We have had a lot of Atlantic/Atlas Cedars dying due to Sirococcus. Is this the cause for Deodars dying in France? Just looked it up on the net and says Sirococcus kills Deodars in the US.

5 minutes ago, maybelateron said:

I note that you say Deodars, which I find interesting. We have had a lot of Atlantic/Atlas Cedars dying due to Sirococcus. Is this the cause for Deodars dying in France? Just looked it up on the net and says Sirococcus kills Deodars in the US.

I will put my hands up and say I don’t know. They just seem to lose needles and that’s it. I’ve told clients that it’s dying and they’ve gone on for a few more years, and I’ve seen them go in weeks.

12 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I will put my hands up and say I don’t know. They just seem to lose needles and that’s it. I’ve told clients that it’s dying and they’ve gone on for a few more years, and I’ve seen them go in weeks.

Sounds just like the Atlantic ones here. Six years ago we had council permission to take down a large TPO'd Atlantic Cedar on the residential estate where we used to mange the grounds. A couple of the residents whose houses are opposite it kicked off big time, so we agreed to leave it for a bit. It still has't died yet, and fluctuates a lot with repeated flushes of new needles, but you just know it can't survive long term. It is right next to a bus stop in the grounds (ex County Asylum site converted to housing). I wonder what the residents who complained will think if it drops a large limb onto the bus stop?