Chainsaw porting

Snedding_J

I,m not typing for the night.. but you really need to read the book, 

setting the squish is a good start, to to this the easy way is base gasket delete.. and or add a gasket to get the required squish.. the saddle screws sit to high on the 461 to allow the cylinder to sit on the crank case.. thus they need the tops taken down...

and that saddle is there for a reason

the bit I circled in yellow is the saddle and one of the screws..

it late and I’ve had beers.. so brain says sleep time ??????

tomorrow ?

FD89A584-8659-477C-ABA0-538A588812DF.jpeg

So on the stihl ms461, how would you advance the ignition? Alter the key on crankshaft/flywheel? Sorry for all the questions, just really keen to learn about porting chainsaws.

Yes that’s right, file down the flywheel key to allow the flywheel to advance a few degrees.

19 hours ago, Wonky said:

I,m not typing for the night.. but you really need to read the book, 

setting the squish is a good start, to to this the easy way is base gasket delete.. and or add a gasket to get the required squish.. the saddle screws sit to high on the 461 to allow the cylinder to sit on the crank case.. thus they need the tops taken down...

and that saddle is there for a reason

the bit I circled in yellow is the saddle and one of the screws..

it late and I’ve had beers.. so brain says sleep time ??????

tomorrow ?

FD89A584-8659-477C-ABA0-538A588812DF.jpeg

Great, thanks Wonky ?

somthing else to put in your reading list to cross reference ??

http://3cyl.com/mraxl/manuals/bell/performance-tuning-graham-bell.pdf

edit,, it will fill in those gaps and bits you don’t understand, as it’s written by someone else..   

one important thing,,, when measuring squish don’t use to thick solder. Use the thin stuff,, if it don’t get squashed because the squish is to big, twist two bits together..

having too small a squish on a saw will fûddy the thing up,(smash the top and maybe/more likely bend the conrod) when it gets hot and expanded... 20thou aka 0.5mm is the min 

Edited by Wonky

1 hour ago, Wonky said:

somthing else to put in your reading list to cross reference ??

http://3cyl.com/mraxl/manuals/bell/performance-tuning-graham-bell.pdf

edit,, it will fill in those gaps and bits you don’t understand, as it’s written by someone else..   

one important thing,,, when measuring squish don’t use to thick solder. Use the thin stuff,, if it don’t get squashed because the squish is to big, twist two bits together..

having too small a squish on a saw will fûddy the thing up,(smash the top and maybe/more likely bend the conrod) when it gets hot and expanded... 20thou aka 0.5mm is the min 

Cheers for all this info Wonky, I'm going to have to learn how to read now ?. I've been looking into some basic small die grinders for the air line - one straight and one 90 degrees for the transfers. Hopefully they'll work, seem to able to get the carbide burrs and polishing stones for them.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, flawer said:

Hi guys, im relatively new here but im looking for someone to port my stihl MS462.

Be glad if anyone knows who can do it. thanks in advance.

Spud has done most of my saws . You won't regret it . Money well spent .