Husqvarna File Guides Confusion

Crispin

2 hours ago, adw said:

I have to disagree, the roller guides when used correctly are are very good, quick and a good final finish.

, they have to used correctly, the instruction on the packs i must admit are not very good, but once shown you never go back.

I used them for a bit and went back to the Oregon flat plate type guide . The rollers ware out too fast and put the file to low .

Why not have a go freehand and perfect that method?

There will be a time and a place in the future, not unlike now, where you will need to sharpen said chains and don’t have the file guide.

My first boss drilled that into me.  File guides should be for workshops and not sharpening in the field.  My first day, he kept me there for half a day sharpening an 026 until he was happy with how it cut.  

He was pretty old school.  It has been my chosen method though for the last 18 years.  Sometimes if the chain is proper gashed then I might use a guide, on occasion I use the depth gauge guide, but had the same one for 15 years now...  that’s shows how often I use it.

• Like 3

Too low Stubby, how on earth were you using it? one of the selling points was the fact that it did not cut too low or anywhere near the tie straps, also the depth gauge on it enables you to file the the depth gauge of the chain at an angle making a smoother cutting chain, i confess i am not an operator like yourself but always found it to perform very well.

The chains you are using require the first two roller guides supplied in the list by ADW.
The guide must match the gauge of the bar to sit correctly and the file size will need to match the cutter, so with your chains, 4.8mm and 5.5mm.

The Top plate filing angle is not set by any of these guides but by the user.

So if you have a chisel or semi chisel, you are using the same guide, you adjust the angle to suit the cutter profile, get one of those magnetic file guides that sit in the bar to get the angles spot on, they are about £5.

1 hour ago, adw said:

Too low Stubby, how on earth were you using it? one of the selling points was the fact that it did not cut too low or anywhere near the tie straps, also the depth gauge on it enables you to file the the depth gauge of the chain at an angle making a smoother cutting chain, i confess i am not an operator like yourself but always found it to perform very well.

It starts out fine ,  but , after a certain amount of use the plastic rollers ware down with the file going across them . As the rollers become smaller in diameter  it drops the file down by the same amount thus putting the file too low . The file should be 1/5th of its diameter above the top plate . When the rollers ware this is reduced putting too much hook on the cutter . 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, The avantgardener said:

So if you have a chisel or semi chisel, you are using the same guide, you adjust the angle to suit the cutter profile, get one of those magnetic file guides that sit in the bar to get the angles spot on, they are about £5.

That's what I would have thought, but the chart adw kindly posted shows different guides for semi chisel/chisel despite the pitch being and file size being the same

Edited by Crispin

2 hours ago, Crispin said:

Thanks for the input guys, and charts, I have the correct files (4.8 & 5.5mm), it's just finding the correct Husqvarna roller guide reference as they are referenced to Husqvarna chain. I think whether it micro, semi or full chisel grind also makes a difference to which guide. Still a bit muddled!

The file guides are only guides for size of chain, that’s it... and no more..it’s up to you if you wish to use the correct size file for the guide. As for the type of chain, the guide don’t care it’s only there to hold the file at the correct height and angle.

give Fr Jones a call. Say what you got,,,, and the file guide type you want...

but while your waiting for them to open, have a browse of the web page ?

12 minutes ago, The avantgardener said:

If the OP is confused about which guide to use for his chain, freehand is not going to end well.

That's funny and often true, some days my freehand sharpening is fine, others not good.

Tried one of the Husqvarna guides and it made a huge difference, unfortunately lost it and don't recall where I got it