Fitting a tipper back to crewcab Hilux-anyone done this?

Treetom15

On 11/04/2020 at 11:40, Treetom15 said:

As the title suggests, I’ve recently bought a crewcab truck-mk3 Toyota Hilux. The chassis and cab is sound, but the tub on the back is a bit rough. I’m torn between stripping and welding the tub, or out my efforts into making a tipper back. The idea was always to do a tipper eventually but I’ve only seen people convert the single cabs? Looking for info on placement for the ram and tipping gear, I’m obviously aware that a crewcab won’t hold as much, but I think it would be a good addition! 

go with an under floor ram kit that way don't intrude front wards. We had a whole set up that went in scrap few years back when friend retired from garage

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex O said:

IMG_8515.jpgIMG_8514.jpgi went for a single ram on mine

Very nice Alex. There is room under there for a shovel, broom and rake which are another few essential bits of kit stowed out of the way . Mick Dundee made up some small bent steel brackets to retain these between the lower tipper chassis rails.

Bob

• Like 1

Very nice Alex. There is room under there for a shovel, broom and rake which are another few essential bits of kit stowed out of the way . Mick Dundee made up some small bent steel brackets to retain these between the lower tipper chassis rails.

Bob

Thanks bob, unfortunately not my problem now as I sold it last year before emigrating, but yes potential for quite a few stowaways underneath that body.

Thanks very much to everyone for al your help and input! I’ve decided to try and find a decent tipper van body (something with a scissor ram) and modify it to fit the truck. If anyone knows of one they want rid of I’d be very grateful! Also a pic of the truck so far 

3DE63901-6DC4-4538-891F-ADA9E99A2172.jpeg

• Like 4

That’s a lovely job there mate, shame you’ve sold it! Was that something you built yourself or did you mod a tipper back off a transit etc? 

No mate I didn’t had a fabricator do it all , cost me 2k all in , so I could still work , was a small price to pay to the advantage it game [emoji6][emoji1360]

with a crew cab you still get around a tonne on the back and you can go over the back a bit but want front as tight as can to cab as 75% of weight will be at front of box/in front of rear axle

It might pay to weld some plates on chassis so tipper base is supported as best can as it drops away at rear of cab which is where a lot of load stress is placed Transits used to crack and snap there! mind there two bits of tin spot welded together.

Seen one with a crane box on back picking up cars headlights used to aim at the stars when loaded.

But at least the hi lux has a decent chassis

13 hours ago, AngrySquirrel said:

with a crew cab you still get around a tonne on the back and you can go over the back a bit but want front as tight as can to cab as 75% of weight will be at front of box/in front of rear axle

It might pay to weld some plates on chassis so tipper base is supported as best can as it drops away at rear of cab which is where a lot of load stress is placed Transits used to crack and snap there! mind there two bits of tin spot welded together.

Seen one with a crane box on back picking up cars headlights used to aim at the stars when loaded.

But at least the hi lux has a decent chassis

Good idea to beef up the chassis a bit, I think I’ll put another cross member in just behind the cab when it comes to fitting a tipper. I’m hoping if I can mod a tipper framework off a van and bolt it onto the existing mounts I have, it will spread the load fairly evenly so it should minimise the stress. I’ll try and run it for a while to see how it performs but I’ll probably put uprated leafs on the back or an airbag kit to keep it level when it’s loaded. It’s been a project start to finish so I figured I may as well keep going ?

Edited by Treetom15
  • Like 1